My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just a dumb question, but how does an MTD 990 get power from the engine?

Does it connect somehow to the shaft or does it require a second PTO to be added to the engine?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
There's a pulley that runs of the front of the engine. Sits right behind the grill. Which would be your 2nd PTO.

·
Registered
119 Posts
depends on the year. mines a "75" and is run with a short shaft underneath from the middle pto. newer ones run from a front pully under the front grill like zelda said.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
My 1974 990 had the front pto pulley for the snow blower. I did not need the pulley so I found it a new home.

·
Blacksmith
834 Posts
I power my pump for my loader from the front shaft of the 16 HP engine. Here is a picture of that pulley arrangement. When the engine starts I have preasure for the loader. A snowblower would have a second pully to turn the blower on or off. Is this the information you are looking for?

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Jheck, my 72 uses the front pulley as well. Is it maybe the different models of blower which dictate front pulley versus mid PTO?

Flejl, which blower do you have for yours?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys,

Thanks for the information.

Right now I don't have a blower for the 990, but wanted to find out about them. I have a bit of work to do on the beast, to get it to the point I would like beforeI start making her work for a living.

I plan to get the main problems fixed in the next few weeks, and then I need to modify the Bolens snow plow I picked up use over the winter.

It looks like somewhere along the line the pulley on the front of the engine disappeared, but it looked like the tractor was designed to have one.

Does anyone have any pictures od a shaft drive blower?

Blacksmithman, what did you use for the hydro pump on your tractor? I like the FEL and if I get really motivated, I may try putting one together.

·
Blacksmith
834 Posts
fletl ~~ I do not have any information on the hydro pump as I picked it up at a yard sale. I first used it on a log splitter so I knew it had a good oil flow and pressure. You would need about 6 gpm and 2500 psi or greater pump. I designed and built the loader by my self. If you need other information let me know.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Jheck, my 72 uses the front pulley as well. Is it maybe the different models of blower which dictate front pulley versus mid PTO?

Flejl, which blower do you have for yours?
could be d-dogg. i kind of thought of that as an after thought. don't know how many driffernt model of snow throwers mtd made for the 990. but mine is power by the middle pto. uses the same u-joint and shaft that the lawn deck uses.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Re: How does an MTD 990 snow blower attach??

Driving myself crazy here. But what the heck. I have a snow blower for my (as yet not running) 990. The blower is a belt driven unit.
Can someone post a picture of what just the blower looks like attached?
My pulley in the front is AWOL. Can I buy one from a tractor supply? Or does anyone here have one to sell? With the bolt and washer preferably.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts