My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to look at an MTD 990 tomorrow night, I would have gone tonight but had to stay late at work.

I recently picked up a Ford LGT14H and think it is a well built garden tractor. How does the MTD 990 compare?

·
ordinary average guy
1,521 Posts
dont know anything about the Fords but if all is good with the 990 you will like it alot.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I would say the 990 might have a slight advantage over the ford.

·
Simplicity Benn
1,574 Posts
i got a 990 almost 2 weeks ago and love it!!! it's incredibly well built, especially when you look at the stuff MTD is turning out nowadays... get some pictures for us!:thThumbsU:thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
i got a 990 almost 2 weeks ago and love it!!! it's incredibly well built, especially when you look at the stuff MTD is turning out nowadays... get some pictures for us!:thThumbsU:thThumbsU
:ditto::ditto::ditto:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
They are both real good rigs ! The 990 I think has larger rear tires if I'm not mistaken ?

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
We need a closeup of the exhaust system on that thing!

·
Simplicity Benn
1,574 Posts
We need a closeup of the exhaust system on that thing!
:ditto: i saw the CL ad for this before you bought it and wondered what kind of exauhst set up it had...

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The exhaust is a real "hack." It l;ooks like the original mufler, a couple of two pieces of pipe, and some flex tube. Oh hey, I almost forgot the piece of a Coke can and a mufler claim added in for good measure!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
After having both tractors for a while and picking up a second 990, I would say the 990 is built stronger then the Ford.

I have been using the Ford to plow my driveway and several neighors this winter, and the 990 at out other house in the mountains, the 990 is hands down a heavier duty tractor.

Right now, I the Ford has a broken hydro lift that I am working to fix, come spring time it will be retired to only cutting grass. The second 990 needs a little work, and will get a snow plow by next winter.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
gburnett,

I appreciate the offer, but Va is a little far to travel for a snow blade. I I can't find one closer, then I will probably look for one from another make tractor and modifiy it. The OPne I have on my first 990 is from a Bolens, I just modified it and it works great.

Marly,

Since you live in Nebraska,you know way more about plowing snow then I do, any suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
148 Posts
flejl, no suggestions other than to get out and have fun. And push the first snow as far as you can because another storm is on the way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts