My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After buying a new set for my X304 I decided that I better learn how to sharpen them myself.
Do you guys use a grinding wheel or a file? What kind of file would be best?
How much material should I remove? Am I likely to throw them out of balance?

Thanks for the info

Len in NC

·
Registered
656 Posts
I sharpen all mower blades on a grinding wheel.

I take care to remove about the same amount of material from both ends and then I check the balance after the grinding. If need be, I will touch up the balance by taking a little more off the heavy end before mounting the blade(s) back on the mower.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I do the same as SkipD except I use a ******* file, works good too. I usually try to sharpen the blades every 6th mow or so - some say it should be done every other cut but that seems a bit much to me.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I just sharpened the stock blades that came with my Deere. I used a Dremel tool and the blade sharpener attachment that came with it. Seemed to work good, will have to check the balance before I put them back on.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a small one inch belt sander made by delta. I use a course carborundum belt - on my old wheelhorse (haven't done it yet on the deere) I could sharpen all three blades in about 5 minutes. Those sanding belts seem to last forever.
rich

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
I use a 4 1/2 inch grinder with a sanding disc on it. Check the balance and put back on. I do it aobut every 3-4 cuts depending on how many sticks I hit.:ROF :goodl:

·
Super Duper Member
1,471 Posts
I use a 4.5" dewalt angle grinder, and I try to balance them.

·
The Gate Keeper
1,181 Posts
We use a 4 inch grinder wheel on ours. Swap them with the spare set in the spring before we start mowing or at the end of the season.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I use a Dewalt angle grinder and a flap disc. It works fantastic! That was one of the best tips I've gotten off of here since joining. You should try it, you won't be disappointed, I promise!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I use an 8 inch grinder for mine. I only grind on the top edge, never on the backside so the blade will still be true.

I also only use deere blades, I do think they are better than the generic ones. I may be wrong but it sure seems like they have a more desireable content or hardening process or both.
I usually put about 200 lawns on my blades before I sharpen them. usually after sharpening them they are good for 50-75 lawns, as each time I sharpen them the time bewtween sharpening gets smaller and smaller, I guess the hardened part of the blade starts to disappear.
I used some generic type blades one time. By noon of that same day they were killed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I usually try to sharpen the blades every 6th mow or so - some say it should be done every other cut but that seems a bit much to me.
Are you guys serious? :eek:mg:

I have mine sharpened once a year in the spring. I am on the same blade after 10 years. Are there any established guidelines?

·
Registered
204 Posts

I have mine sharpened once a year in the spring. I am on the same blade after 10 years. Are there any established guidelines?
normal is about 2 seasons on a mower blade from 40 years at it.life could be shortened on quality of blades.i sharpen mine about 2 times a summer on 1 acre yard mowed 2 times a week.

10 years, thats unreal,to me 3 years would be something to see.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts

Holy cow :swow: I was just thinking the same thing..... If after every 3, 4, or even 6 cuts is the standard guideline then I have been real slack and have got to get my tail in gear. :00000060: I only sharpen on average twice a year.

·
JD Green all the way~!
1,312 Posts
I just sharpened the stock blades that came with my Deere. I used a Dremel tool and the blade sharpener attachment that came with it. Seemed to work good, will have to check the balance before I put them back on.
That blade sharpener attachment...enlighten me if you would please. Pictures of it, or a link on what it looks like etc.

~F~

·
Registered
204 Posts
i found over years, 40 or so that a regular grinding stone on table grinder does not do job of belt sander or a sanding disk on your table grinder.i did not know they have a sanding disk for a table grinder.

sanding belt or disk does better job.i saw guy using a hand orbitable sander and put blades in a vise,it came out real good.dremel tool with sanding disk works great too.

actually if you use just a SANDING DISK or wheel ,you dont have to take blades off the deck to just lightly touch them up.i do this a lot, i just TOUCH up the blades while on deck,you are not taking off hardly any metal so you dont need to balance blades.at beginning of season, i check BALANCE then only TOUCH up the blades when i clean deck,if needed.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts