My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking that seeing as jake orange is so expensive at $12 a can and it is hard to get a good match on the white hood what do you uys think of going with a total non original paint scheme?
I am of course not trying to do a 100% correct restoration.
I think a "sonic blue" color with some Black and maybe a grey engine would look cool, I think the decal would go nicely as well- also with the same type of tires as Aardvark has on his- the ATV tires, what do you guys think? Something like this color

Just an idea- so don't kill me if you don't approve-LOL

·
Subsurface dweller
194 Posts
Not like I'm not guilty of that...

This is my brother's Bolens 1256 I did a decade and a half ago. Bolens used that ugly (to us) brown and I had plenty of Ford blue to match to his Jubilee. Well... it is now a Bolord!:fing32:

As far as the Jakes, I am very fond of their colors and wouldn't do it, but it's your machine!

·
Dabbler in rust
38 Posts
There is a 10-20 mccormick sitting in the trees of my farm yard. It is painted International red. The original color of the tractor was a dull grey with red wheels. I did some investigating as to why this tractor would be red, as it has been sitting since before anyone started "restoring" tractors. The response I got from the local old timers is that the International dealers, who took these tractors on trade, would repaint the tractors red to match the more modern equpipment and greatly enhance the look of the tractors prior to reselling them. I say, if you think it will look good, go for it, I am sure your tractor would much appreciate a face lift.

·
aardvark161
65 Posts
Zippez that Bolens looks great, Jay i think its really up to you, at the end of the day the paint is only there to protect the metal , blue and black sounds nice with th grey motor....

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
I agree, it's your tractor so paint it any color that pleases you.

So far mine seems to look good camouflaged with rust and dirt.

Mike

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
IMO - unless your doing a all original restoration why even bother to ask , it's your machine do what you want !!

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
My question is who's paying for it ?

If I am I want it all original !

If you are then I would say do what you want you have to like it not me.

Good luck on the restoration. :fing32:

·
Plain Old MTF Member
216 Posts
My aim is to do a full restoration. Along the way I have found that I would like to modify
certain things but that strays from originality. So, when my Jake is finished I plan to do another in a different color scheme along with modifications.
Seems kind of odd that tractors were the only rolling vehicle with no color options.
The verdict is clear....It's your choice! As a Navy Seabee veteran, I started out planning a Seabee Olive Drab theme until I realized Jacobsen paint and decals were available. The Seabee theme will be my next one, with stencils, tie down eyes, olive drab canvas upholstery, etc. I have modified a few of the parts on my "Jake" restoration
but will have all the "original" spares.
I think it's fine! The details is what's important.
Pour the drink of your choice and let your imagination guide you!

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
If you are keeping it, let your colors run wild.

Awhile back, there was a Sears tractor for sale with the patriotic theme gone wild.

Weve all seen them, Stripes, Stars, Eagles heads everywhere. If they made it, this guy had it stuck on there somewhere. To each his own. But he wanted big bucks for his mods when he went to sell it.
That's where the modification thing hits the brick wall of reality.
Ask the people with the Pink or Jd Green & Yellow customizing on their Ford 8N or IH or Case who decide to sell. What gets looks at the shows doesn't translate well into someone elses driveway.

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
Oh. forgot...we need pics when you are done.

Those Jakes came in Oliver, Ford, MinneMo, etc. variations...Thats already Orange. Yellow, Blue and Green. Black & candy blue would look great.

Too bad it isn't an MTD...I don't think there is a combination they didn't wear.

·
Subsurface dweller
194 Posts
Seems kind of odd that tractors were the only rolling vehicle with no color options.
Just a tid bit...White Farm Equipment actually did offer choices (and not just 2 or because it was rebadged like a Deutz or Allis). The American 60 and 80 series were available in WFE Silver and Gray, Minneapolis Moline Prarie Gold, Oliver Green, and Cockshutt Red. It was to honor their history of merging these pioneering names into WFE.

·
Super Moderator
35,807 Posts
How about Green and Yellow? We did a Jacobsen mower at a bombing range and named it the JacobDeere. Only a few ever got the joke!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I plan on doing a complete thread documenting and photographing the whole rebuild as it goes along. Seems like it would be kinda fun. I like coming to the different forums I am on and reading the rebuilding threads like on the many car forums I am on.
I am actually picking my jake up from my Uncle's tomorrow and gonna just kinda "see what I have" and what is there and see if I can get it running. I am actually really excited

Although in ckill1's thread looking for a deck wheel I really like the way his came out Orange and white

1 - 15 of 15 Posts