My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
1946 2n, 316JD
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you conect the "bottle " style coil to the current distribor? This has me puzzled. I know where and how to conect to the Distribor. But what type wire do you use? Copper core sparp plug from The new coil to the distribor?
I guess the quetion I have is: what kind of wire from where the coil goes to the distribitor? ANY ONE got a pic?

·
Registered
229 Posts
I've heard of people doing it by drilling out the old square coil - I'd imagine running a solid metal conductor from the post at the top to the old coil's firing contact'd do it.

I was going to but found a replacement on Ebay for $26 delivered... I kept the old one to gut and try if this one fails.

I would use a solid core wire with HEI style boots on either end. You can usually buy them separate at most auto part stores.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
After you gut the front coil you should still have the spring thing on the bottom that is what you want to solder the wire from the side mount coil on to. Sorry I have no pics.

·
1946 2n, 316JD
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That sound good. I have some wire at work we use for high voltage testing, AN "ARC" test, to see if electrical parts arc, It is a stainless steel wire that has a real flexible coating that is silicon based. I am going to use that, and solder as you say. I just bought a NEW carb, going for electronic ignition soon... that should make her spit fire..
Thinking about having the head milled and modding the cam... I just can help it... LOL

·
1946 2n, 316JD
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOOKING IN TO A small super charger...:dunno:

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
I read once where you could take an air pump from a Chevy 454 and make a supercharger.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I can send you a copy of the step by step conversion for the square coil to can coil. PM me if needed.

Kirk

·
1946 2n, 316JD
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Kirk, I got your mail today after I got back in from GUTTING THAT COIL.. I did it a little differant, But Got the job Done... I took pics as I did it so maybe I can post pics... I am sure this Is going to be a more solid platform to work with.. I will start a post tomarrow.. If you don't mind I would like to add some of your ideas to let the guys make choices.. I used a torch, a hammer, plyers and screwdriver,.. Man did that stink the place up...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts