My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use a LOT of elbow grease, putty knives, paint scrapers, chisels, compressed air, detergent, garden hose, wire and stiff scrub brushes... Has to be a better way.

I've heard of special paints, oven cleaner, pressure washers... what works for you?

·
Registered
148 Posts
The underside of my deck I keep coated with a "paint" I get from my John Deere Dealer. I can never think of what this stuff is called but the main ingredient is a super slick dry gray material I have used as a lubricant on my sons boy scout derby cars (may be illegal) Graphite! thats it!:thThumbsU
Once you get a couple of coats of this on the bottom of your deck most things come off fairly easy but you must make sure you keep it applied as it wears off with use, in other words the more you mow the more often you need to clean and apply.
The top of my deck I removed the factory pulley and belt covers and made my own, theirs just trapped the trimmings which stayed damp and was trying to rust my deck before the first season was over! Now I just blow off after each mow, wash once a month and spray on some wax. 5 years later still looking pretty good.
I hope this helps!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The underside of my deck I keep coated with a "paint" I get from my John Deere Dealer. I can never think of what this stuff is called but the main ingredient is a super slick dry gray material I have used as a lubricant on my sons boy scout derby cars (may be illegal) Graphite! thats it!:thThumbsU
Once you get a couple of coats of this on the bottom of your deck most things come off fairly easy but you must make sure you keep it applied as it wears off with use, in other words the more you mow the more often you need to clean and apply.
The top of my deck I removed the factory pulley and belt covers and made my own, theirs just trapped the trimmings which stayed damp and was trying to rust my deck before the first season was over! Now I just blow off after each mow, wash once a month and spray on some wax. 5 years later still looking pretty good.
I hope this helps!
Yes, regular paint keeps it from rusting but stuff really sticks to it. I'll stop at the JD dealer next time I go by. Belt covers/gaurds seem to be designed to rot the decks out... I'm planning on modifying mine next time they're off.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Belt covers/gaurds seem to be designed to rot the decks out... I'm planning on modifying mine next time they're off.
Not a problem on my Case tractors. The belt covers completely hide all the belts and pulleys. On the bottom of the deck I use elbow grease and a gasket scraper.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
You need to clean the underside ? Just kidding , I try and mow only when the grass is either dry or is drying as in the sun is out and the dew is evaporating so the first half hour or so might be a touch damp the rest of the mowing is dry that way the underside is cleaned by the dry grass or if the grass is juicly the next time the grass is drier and I rarely have any old clipping to clean out , except in the odd corner or something , since all my mowers are always stored indoors the little clutter on the top of the deck is dry and blows off on the next use . Been doing this way 40 plus years.

·
dirtgeezer
1,441 Posts
I hardly ever clean under the deck, I won't mow grass when it is wet. We have a lot of sand & gravel and it works to clean the underside of the deck, it also wears out the blades fast. I usually scrape some of it off when I change blades.

·
MTF New Poster
2,163 Posts
Good ole jar of elbow grease.Blow off the deck with compressed air,spray the underside and start scrapping.I have tried WD-40,spray cooking oil,motor oil,and glossy paint.No luck so fur.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I went to the store and bought a bag full of 3/8 pipe and fittings. Made my own washer for the under side that works pretty well with washers on each side. I use my leaf blower that I bought when I lived in town to blow off the top of the deck. In the spring when the grass (weeds mostly) are full of juice I pull the mower up on an incline and use a brass nozzle to knock the junk off. I pulled the deck and repainted it this spring and it looked fine.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
mowing a sandy yard seems best. i've never sc***** or painted a deck, that i've used. blades on the other hand....... actually patching decks too, becomes trouble some.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
sc*****

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
not to high jack but, why cant i say sc*****?

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
The top of my deck gets blowed off after every mow and then, under the deck... First mow in the Spring I coat the underside of the deck with a thin film of grass clipping sap, chlorophyll, and a bit of insect juice. I continue to lightly coat the underside of the deck each mowing as needed during the season, stopping to clean out any large lumps of overapplied coating residue when it forms at 3 predisposed locations around the baffles. This is performed when I change or sharpen blades.

Since I'm a totally into orgasmic gardening, I don't want any artificial chemical substances around the pure essence of my deck residue, therefore I will not use any products that contain any graphite, polymoronic phenols or "As Seen On TV" kitchen sprays like "Pam" as any deck residue that I do remove goes directly into my steaming hot, naturally fermenting, aromatic lovely compost pile.

At the end of the mowing season, I slowly begin to remove the previously applied underdeck coating. I begin to apply liberal applications of dry leaves, sticks, dog (gnawing) bones, pine cones and acorns (if the mast crop was good that year). Each day's mowing takes a bit more coating off and strews it evenly around the lawn to become next seasons natural fertilizer.

When I finally whip out my deck at season's end, there's precious little coating remaining on the bottom side of it. The original yellow deck paint is only just slightly tarnished, all surfaces are ready for a natural slow air drying process during the entire Winter season to be ready once more for the next year's mowing. I give my nipples 3 pumps of grease each and immediately screw my deck right up against a wall stud.

Really, that's all there is too it!:)

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
what bull ****! grrrrrrr

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have a sweetgum tree on the back of lot,I never sweep up the the little thorney balls.about twice a year I ride around the tree about two to three times it does a fantastik job.

·
Registered
198 Posts
there is a spot on the hardsurface road just in front of the driveway that holds a couple inches of water for days after it rains...if it's wet enough the grass sticks to the deck, I'll just go out there, drop the deck all the way down and drive thru, 1 or 2 passes and the waters coming out clean and the deck is spotless:fing32:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts