My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Making some progress on the 70. Two questions:

1) How do I get the steering wheel off? I know there are wheel pullers which seem pricey.

2) How do I get the wheels off? Tried using screw driver to pry it off and also two fishing hooks... seemed like that would have worked except the fishing line was not strong enough :dunno: :thanku:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
For the wheel it looks like you need a pair of snap ring pliers. They are fairly cheap to buy, but I am not sure if there is anything else holding on the rim. Of course you have the rust factor to deal with. Many folks have had issues with taking off rims from the axles on the little JD's like the 165, 160's. I am not sure if they are similar to your set up or not but they can give you an idea.

For the steering wheel, it's too corroded for me to tell but it looks like you might need some snap ring pliers and a puller. Pullers are not that much, plus you can probably go to your local auto parts and get it on loan for free. Places like Advance or Auto Zone will loan you a tool if you give them a deposit.

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
I cant tell, is the nut still on the steering wheel?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts