My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm new here, so please excuse me if I am doing this wrong. I own a 1966 MF 203 Industrial tractor with the Perkins diesel engine. I bought a shop manual, but lo and behold, no instructions for replacing the radiator. Here are some pictures of my predicament.

I'm wondering how I pull the radiator. Remove the fuel tank and pull it out from the top? Or remove the grill, remove the hydraulic pump, and pull it from the front? I don't see how I can remove the shroud before I remove the radiator, unless I remove the sheet metal panels that hide the sides of the radiator. Has any of you done this job on a similar MF tractor?
I'm slowly restoring this old guy, plan to repaint it with the original MF yellow. It has been painted with another yellow, then brush-painted some hideous pinkish color, then partly green. Plenty of worn-out parts, but everything seems to be reasonably-priced so far. The tractor runs and works with a leaky radiator (the upper hose mount) and a leaky fuel injector. The local hydraulic line shop clued me in on how to seal the leaky lines where they attach to the injector.
Any help would be appreciated. I have done enough mechanics to know I could try to remove this radiator in a way that won't work.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hello Chris
Have you made any progress on removing the radiator on your 203? I was really interested in your post due to being in the same predicament at exactly the same time.
I have the gas version, a MF202 with a Continental Z134 engine, yours has the Perkins AD3.152.
This is how I went about removing my radiator.
You'll be removing the radiator out the top side of the tractor.
First, I removed the the front grill by removing the two bolts securing the front grill.
Next, the radiator is bolted at the bottom end to the front axle support by two carriage bolts and nuts remove those.
Next remove the two left and right side trim panels and the left side upper trim panel that the hood latches to in two places.
Next, remove the lower hose and let the coolant drain, then remove the upper radiator hose and the little strut rod next to the upper hose to allow clearance to back off the radiator shroud toward the engine.
Next, you'll see two sheet metal screws per side securing the radiator shroud to the radiator remove those and back off the shroud.
The radiator will now be loose in the engine bay.
Hopefully, since yours is a diesel, the shroud moved back far enough to clear the lower radiator outlet.
You might have to work the lower radiator outlet around the shroud but at this point you should be able to lift out the radiator.
Please note I did not have to remove the radiator fan or the fuel tank .
Hopefully yours won't vary much since it is a diesel.
Also, the loader arms and bucket need to be positioned so it's easier to work around.
I positioned the bucket face down

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Chris
Have you made any progress on removing the radiator on your 203? I was really interested in your post due to being in the same predicament at exactly the same time.
I have the gas version, a MF202 with a Continental Z134 engine, yours has the Perkins AD3.152.
This is how I went about removing my radiator.
You'll be removing the radiator out the top side of the tractor.
First, I removed the the front grill by removing the two bolts securing the front grill.
Next, the radiator is bolted at the bottom end to the front axle support by two carriage bolts and nuts remove those.
Next remove the two left and right side trim panels and the left side upper trim panel that the hood latches to in two places.
Next, remove the lower hose and let the coolant drain, then remove the upper radiator hose and the little strut rod next to the upper hose to allow clearance to back off the radiator shroud toward the engine.
Next, you'll see two sheet metal screws per side securing the radiator shroud to the radiator remove those and back off the shroud.
The radiator will now be loose in the engine bay.
Hopefully, since yours is a diesel, the shroud moved back far enough to clear the lower radiator outlet.
You might have to work the lower radiator outlet around the shroud but at this point you should be able to lift out the radiator.
Please note I did not have to remove the radiator fan or the fuel tank .
Hopefully yours won't vary much since it is a diesel.
Also, the loader arms and bucket need to be positioned so it's easier to work around.
I positioned the bucket face down
Thanks for the instructions. They will be very helpful. I'll post my results after I complete the task. The new radiator just arrived today.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts