My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just picked up a pretty sweet one owner lawnboy 7263 from around 1974, which supposedly runs, however the recoil assembly is malfunctioning. I found a video how to remove one but it looked like a slightly different engine. There is a nut that is supposed to loosen which allows the recoil assembly to slide out, however the bolt is impossible to get to with a wrench. I am only able to turn it less than a quarter of a turn and no more. Do I need to take the carb off so those screws on the carb aren't in the way or should I take the entire flywheel and everything off? Or is there something I am missing? Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are very welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got the thing apart and I think it may be the spring. Either it is bad, needs lube or was wound wrong I’m not sure. I can’t really see anything else that would cause it to not catch until the very end of the pull. When it was together the spring also seemed to be slipping and slowly retracting on its own. I’m not really sure what’s going on.

here’s a pic of the springhttps://imgur.com/gallery/rynD2Sl

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just picked up a 74 lawnboy 7263 and the recoil is malfunctioning. Doesn’t seem to catch until the end of the cord even then it sorta slips, and when you let it go, you can hear it slipping every once and a while and retracting slightly more.

I got it apart and lookedat everything and it has to be the spring. I cant see how anything else would be causing this. Idk if it needs to be rewound, tensioned differently, or if it needs new lube. Can these springs go bad? Here’s a picture:

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,254 Posts
The spring looks okay, what I suspect is happening is that the tab that is holding the end of the spring is probably worn out and not holding the end of the spring. Typical for some of those that used plastic to retain that hook in the spring.

If everything looks good, then try again and follow the manual instructions and be sure to pretension the pulley with about 2 turns prior to feeding the rope through the eyelet. If you are not able to pretension the pulley then it almost has to be that the anchoring channel on the worm gear plate is damaged and not holding the looped end of the spring. Take pics of all the key players and we can probably tell you where things are going wrong.

·
Super Moderator and over 6K Posts!
6,307 Posts
The original pulley was metal. Then I think they went to plastic as the replacement. The little tab that catches the spring can easily break and not hold the spring. If you can get the original metal one (604646) it would be better. Be sure you clean the spring well and lube with a very light coat of lithium grease. Also be sure to check that the pinion is in good shape and the pinion spring is in place with the two legs on each side of the armature plate. Bill

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,803 Posts
I think I recall reading a post about excessive crankshaft endplay causing similar issue

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The original pulley was metal. Then I think they went to plastic as the replacement. The little tab that catches the spring can easily break and not hold the spring. If you can get the original metal one (604646) it would be better. Be sure you clean the spring well and lube with a very light coat of lithium grease. Also be sure to check that the pinion is in good shape and the pinion spring is in place with the two legs on each side of the armature plate. Bill

Spring is now wound. Seems to retract nicely, but still not engaging with engine. I am wondering if I am missing a pinion spring and thrust washer. It says there should be one on the blow up diagram but doesn’t look like I have either of those. If I move the pinion gear towards the block myself it catches and turns over once. Either that or maybe I have something installed backwards and it’s supposed to turn the other way?

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,254 Posts
Sounds like you have it figured out. It definitely won't kick over into the flywheel without a pinion spring. I would also check the pinion gear for wear before you order the spring, since the pinion gears are plastic.

·
Super Moderator and over 6K Posts!
6,307 Posts
Looks like you have the original starter assembly with the metal helix pulley. There is no washer and retainer clip on the end of the shaft unless you have the newer style with the plastic pulley. Only a C Clip on the end of the helix. Definitely looks like you are missing the pinion spring. Don't over stretch when installing and be sure the prongs are facing away from the pulley, toward the flywheel. Bill

1 - 12 of 12 Posts