My Tractor Forum banner

What spark plug brand is most preferred

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one out there who has made snow chains for a lawn tractor please provide some input.

·
Banned
465 Posts
I think it would be cheaper and easier to buy them, unless you have access to a ton of chain stock.

Bob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much would a set of chains cost to make just make a rough guess

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thx man, and how much would a set go for.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:thanku:

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
This thread confuses me.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
I pick up old car chains at garage sales whenever I can find 'em cheap. I have made a couple of sets of GT chains from old car chains.
First, you need 2 sets both having the same number of links in the cross chains.
Then, you simply remove all the cross chains fom one set and double them up in the other set; instead of a cross chain every 6th link in the side chains as in car chains, you will have cross links every 3rd link. The other thing to be aware of; you need long enuf cross chains to fit the relatively wide GT tires. Off the top of my head, 10 or 11 regular links in addition to the fastening links on each end. A real good set of tire chain pliers is a must to make the job easier altho the first set I made many years ago, I separated the links with a cold chisel and squeezed them back together again with a vise; rather time consuming.
Of course, the chains should not be worn too badly. They can be turned inside out to get the unwarn part to the road surface.
I pick up old car chains even when they are worn out ' cause I find they work real well to hold down the tarps over my firewood stacks. They fit nicely into the uneven surface and are heavy enuf to prevent the wind blowing the tarp away.
I also pick up garden tractor chains at garage sales as well if they are cheap.
I have paid as much as $25 and as little as $10.
So you say I'm cheap? I take that as a compliment!! LOL

·
Banned
465 Posts
I have paid as much as $25 and as little as $10.
So you say I'm cheap? I take that as a compliment!! LOL
That doesn't mean you're cheap. It means, you, like everyone else, are fed up with the high prices, but, you are doing something about it. It's not going to change the economy, but, you'll have more $$ to spend on whatever.

Bob

·
Registered
451 Posts
Maybe if you are the deciding vote for the "most popular" spark plug you get free ones? That would be Frugal, not cheap and then you can buy tire chains??

---I got nothin':hide:

·
Young Buck
1,611 Posts
I made some a while back, but i used open link for the outside links and they would pull out. cost about $30 and worked ok but not well enough for elongated use. High maintenance. I got some car chains for free and no longer use them. There are sites that sell the special end links, but they aren't cheap($0.45 a piece and you will need alot!). You will need 1" opening welded straight chain for the stringers, and a comparable welded twist chain for the cross bars. The distances add up, and there is a lot wasted links from cutting. you will also need the clasps that hold the stringer ends together or some alternative($5.29 each and you will need 4). 4 link spaced chains would cost you around $60-100 and 2 link $80-140 but that is a very ruff estimate, and If you have the time and its cheaper, i would go for it. but I think that buying chains, or finding and modifying car chains would be more cost ef.fective

http://www.tirechain.com/TireChainParts.htm#CROSS_CHAIN_HOOKS

This link has a garden tractor section with every chain size imaginable:

http://www.tirechain.com/TractorChainmenu.htm

Chains w/tensiners 2 link spaced heavy duty for my 23x8.50x12's would run $72 plus shipping for the 30lbs. that they weigh. I would go with two link for superior traction, and less bouncing around.

If you want v bars they will be around $110 plus shipping.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,265 Posts
I saw some brandy new ones on clearance at TSC for a 23 10.50 12 tires, 2 link for $40! If I had the extra cake I would have bought them!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts