My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've got a trailmower with a Briggs & Stratton I/C, 10.5 HP. Model 28B702 Type 1113-E1 Code 020131ZD engine. It's a single cylinder.

Do these single cylinder engines "waste a spark" like the two cylinders ones do, sparking once every revolution? Or do they spark every other revolution?

I'm looking at picking up a tach hour meter for it and the cheapest I've been able to find, with shipping, is this one. But it is for an "every other" spark setup, and I'm not sure if my engine sparks on every revolution or not?

-Josh

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hold the plug wire in your hand. Have a helper turn the ignition and count the number of times you jerk and scream. Compare that to the number of times the engine cranked and you will have your answer!

Okay, sorry. That was shockingly bad taste!

And that was worse.

Given that most single cylinder engines have the magneto driven directly off the crank shaft, I would guess that you get a spark with every revolution of the crank.

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,270 Posts
EVERY B&S engine equipped with electronic ignition produces a spark every revolutions as do Kohlers except some old Kohlers.

Walt Conner

·
Tractor addict
2,857 Posts
here, This may help as I figure it works.

the fly wheel has a magnet that whips around with it and every time it passes the magneto it fires a spark, for every one revolution, there's 1 spark.
The only system that I know of from what I learned in my small engine course that is capable of 1 spark for every 2 revolutions(4 stroke engine) is one with points.

sorry for my bad art, hopefully it helps.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts