My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Addicted To Tractors
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am 14, and very mechanical for my age. I have a 71 Sears Suburban with a self leveling loader, but I also have a 1974 SS16. This was the second year with the 16hp onan. It runs great. I have a John Deere 130 with a blade, I was able to level out the yard with it, but the weight of the little tractor simply cant cut it. I made weights for it and still...I am thinking my Sears SS16 would be amazing for plowing. Like I have a scrap snowblower I could use for a mount (should be the same mount as a plow) and the lift mechanizm (spelling). If i could find a curved blade to weld onto of properly cut down the snowblower, (remove the blades, chop some of the top off)...Hmmm what should I do? My area where I live sucks for tractors. (vintage ones of course, the ones I like)

·
15,000 +posts!
20,416 Posts
You could just "gut" the snowblower,take out the auger and modify the shell into a plow blade--or just use the mount as you said,and mae a blade out of a old hot water heater tank,or a section of a 275 gallon oil tank..I've seen a few made of large diameter steel pipe about 12" too..the hot water tanks and old air compressor tanks,and oil tanks will be the easiest to find,sometimes for free or cheap too--look on Craigslist,I see lots of them offered free all the time..

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Take the blade off the Johnny popper lawn mower and install it on the SS16 tractor.

If you could find an old 300# propane tank and cut a section out the size you want, the steel would be thick enough and be the right curl.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've seen them made from old water heaters. Those should be plentiful. Cut out a section of the tank for the blade, attach the cutting edge and mounting hardware. You might want to reinforce the sides of the blade too.

M.D.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Old propane tanks or the curved part of oil tanks are often used as well. The flat part of an oil tank makes a good trailer bed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts