My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I make my seat setup more shock absorbent on a 314? Has anyone replaced their seat with something else that doesn't cost much, that I can find as an aftermarket part? Or welded in springs, under there seat, or added more padding.

I'm starting to get a sore back when mowing the lawn. It can't be because I'm getting old, and don't move around very much anymore. It must be the tractor is old or the lawn is bumpy. lol

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
A couple of things that helped mine: a cut to fit piece of foam cushion laid on the seat then a seat cover over both, lowered air psi in tires.

·
21,741 Posts
I use a piece of plush carpeting in the winter when the seat is frozen. It will work in the summer for bumpy lawns as well.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Maybe one of the JD seat covers? The basic one (LP22704) has some padding ($30). There is a Deluxe (LP40090) which has thick padding (it's $50, though).

·
dwendt44
68 Posts
Does your tractor have springs under the seat now?

The newer units have springs that can be adjusted to a small
degree. Moving them toward the rear will soften the ride slightly.

My 2¢

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Does your tractor have springs under the seat now?

The newer units have springs that can be adjusted to a small
degree. Moving them toward the rear will soften the ride slightly.

My 2¢
You have that backwards I believe unless your spring set up works backwards from mine.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
On the 314 it would be easy to move the seat back on the springs. Add a section of strap iron on top of the springs that extends back enough to add a hole for the rear holes in the seat. Then move the front seat fasteners to the existing rear hole and the rear fasteners in the seat mount to the new holes in the new strap iron. Might end up too soft at which time you could add some helper springs.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
You can buy a piece of the fattest pipe insulation and cut a piece the width of the seat springs and put it beneath the existing springs. That will give you some extra softening of the existing springs. I did it on an old Cub I had and it worked pretty well.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I park the John Deere for the summer and mow w/ the Ferris IS2100Z, my back thanks me for it!

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,637 Posts
How can I make my seat setup more shock absorbent on a 314? Has anyone replaced their seat with something else that doesn't cost much, that I can find as an aftermarket part? Or welded in springs, under there seat, or added more padding.

I'm starting to get a sore back when mowing the lawn. It can't be because I'm getting old, and don't move around very much anymore. It must be the tractor is old or the lawn is bumpy. lol
Michigan Seat Company makes the suspension seat for the X7's (the one that comes on the SE models). It works great, but may be larger than you'd like on the 314.

A better fit, but probably harder to find, would be the optional seat that came on the 318. It would bolt right up, be a better fit, and it works well, too. There is an adjustment bolt that changes the stiffness to suit your weight.

Attachments

·
Registered
492 Posts
Old school motorcycle seat springs are a possibility . These are springs that are about 3 " tall and maybe 1 " - 1 1/4 " in diameter . Wedge them in between the OEM seat springs you just need to figure out a way to secure them . Shouldn't be that difficult .

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have used these trailer door bumpers to soften the ride on my 300 series with tilt seats. It offers a less jarring ride than the tiny original rubber bumpers on the seat springs, and also tilts the seat forward a bit, which works for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
864 Posts
Suspension seat bases from a (425, 445, 455) series are about $100-125 on ebay. You may have to drill holes, but that's easy. Those are cheaper than 430 seat bases which are probably plug and play for more than $200 on ebay.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have used these trailer door bumpers to soften the ride on my 300 series with tilt seats. It offers a less jarring ride than the tiny original rubber bumpers on the seat springs, and also tilts the seat forward a bit, which works for me.
My seat doesn't fold up. It slides back in slots, I have it all the way back. My setup looks like a large horseshoe from the side. See image below on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/i/323754572104?chn=ps

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 35 Posts