My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a previous post but it didn't have the info needed.

The garage is an insulated 25x30 garage, I'd like it to be at least 40-50 inside it when the outside is 0 degrees F. I was hoping to spend no more than 200.

Pellet stove, wood stove, kerosene are off the list. Open to other ideas.

Thanks for any help-
Tyler

·
Blank Space
2,994 Posts
I made a previous post but it didn't have the info needed.

The garage is an insulated 25x30 garage, I'd like it to be at least 40-50 inside it when the outside is 0 degrees F. I was hoping to spend no more than 200.

Pellet stove, wood stove, kerosene are off the list. Open to other ideas.

Thanks for any help-
Tyler
It has a lot of information:

http://www.mytractorforum.com/248-alternative-energy/899553-way-cheaply-efficiently-heat-my-home-garage.html

Not sure a new thread will get any more.

·
Registered
398 Posts
There's no really cheap way but I've been using one of these for about fifteen years now. Long enough so that I had to open it up and clean it out this fall. It's a kerosene heater but I've always used diesel since they sell diesel everywhere and it used to be a lot cheaper. Depending on where you live and the availability, it still probably is.
A little on the noisy side, puts a lotta heat out and should be plenty if you're inside an insulated garage. There is of course a fire hazard so you'll need to keep that in mind around combustibles, especially too near the output. There is of course a larger version but the area you describe is about the same I've been heating with this one. I've never had a problem with fumes but my area isn't very sealed either.
I had a friend who placed an old mobile home furnace (electric) on his shop floor and ran a 220v extension cord. It worked well.

·
15,000 +posts!
19,711 Posts
I know a guy who used a propane fired water heater coupled to some baseboard heat exchangers (ones used in homes for forced hot water heat),to heat his detached garage..an electric water heater would work too,but might prove too costly to run..

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Heat can be cheap if there is sun out and insulation. There was an old timer that has a metal working business in an old barn with insulation. There has been addition on to addition over the years. He took the south wall which doesn't have any doors on it and painting it black with a special paint that would radiate the suns rays better. Then he put some horizontal boards so there would be two or 3 passes of air back and forth. Then he put see through fiberglass siding stuff that let the light though. Next he cut a hold for a 3 foot box fan on one end at the bottom and one at the top. One pulls and one pushes the air. Good size building and it was around 60 in there when it was -20 out when I was there a couple times.

If you think it would be REALLY hot in the summer-the sun in higher in the summer and that part then is in the shade. In the winter it gets more direct light. Too bad my south side of the shop is 4 garage doors and 2 man doors. But it does stay warm just from insulation alone.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts