Votes: 2 2.0%
  • over 10000 (Hello movie or rock star)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just read today that the trend is starting to go for smaller homes and less McMansions.My wife and i had our last home built for us 10 years ago which is a colonial with 1600 sq ft.The home before was a raised ranch of around 1300 sq ft.For us the size of this home is perfect!A two car garage,not alot to heat or cool and the two cats have plenty of running room.The 3 acres of land around our home gives us plenty of quiet privacy! why some would rather have a McMansion on a third or less acre of land is beyond me.What do you have and would you go bigger or smaller?.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
32,482 Posts
Our place is right around 2500sf,and we have 4.5 acres of land. It was ment to be a bit smaller, but when I increased the size of the garage, it made the master bedroom bigger also. [its above the garage] Now the master bedroom is HUGE!!!!!!!!!!! Also we had a small sitting room added to it also, what made it eaven bigger. So, other then the fact that just the master bedroom/sitting room/master bath/walkin closet is bigger then my last house, [:D] the rest is about right for our needs. So to make a long story eaven longer.... Ya, a little smaller would be fine as long as it was laid out right.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
a colonial with 1600 sq ft.
It sure looks bigger than 1600. I am no expert in calculating sq footage in so far as what gets counted and what doesn't. Realtors calculate it one way and the tax man another. The tax man measures the outside so I pay taxes on the thickness of the walls.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It sure looks bigger than 1600. I am no expert in calculating sq footage in so far as what gets counted and what doesn't. Realtors calculate it one way and the tax man another. The tax man measures the outside so I pay taxes on the thickness of the walls.
The two car garage makes it look bigger than it is. 800 per floor The sunroom (12*12)in the back was added 3 years ago which is a three season room so i didnt add it to my total sq footage.

·
Super Moderator
29,566 Posts
our house is ~2400 sqft, and honestly at least 800 sq ft is wasted/unused space. it is only 3 bedrooms, but has a formal living room and formal dining room, breakfast room(not nook) large laundry room, large den, smallish sized kitchen compared to everythign else. if we ever move, i will either downsize or find something better laid out, or hopefully both.

i have 4 acres, so no real need to have a large house.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
The tax man says I have 2200 sq. ft. but I don't know what a Realtor would say. I designed it myself, had a contractor raise the shell, and then I finished the interior.

Through the design phase, my wife kept adding sq. feet and I argued for less to keep costs down. After it was built she decided it was too big (to keep clean) but yet she keeps saying that this room or that room should have been a foot wider, etc. I keep joking that the next house I build will be like the Tardis of Dr Who fame. We are empty nesters and don't need what we have now.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,654 Posts
We bought our present home in 1995, it was built in 1967 and has 1750 sq ft heated area and another 150 sq ft Florida room, plus and attached but unheated 1-1/2 car garage. We wanted a slightly larger house, but were willing to take less house to get more land. This one came with just under 5 acres and had a barn, which was what we wanted, as my wife had a horse when we met, and we didn't want the expense of boarding it somewhere else. The other upside was that I knew the seller (I had dated her as a teen, and this was her parent's house), and we did a deal without going through a realtor, so no commissions to worry about in the sale price.

Over the years, we have wished for more space, as our two daughters have grown into teens. There certainly isn't any unused space. I drew up plans to add a wing for a larger master bedroom, closets and master bath (we do have 2 full baths already), but rather than increasing our debt by adding on, we've just put up with the limitations and put the money into paying off the mortgage early. The house will be paid for in a couple more years, the girls will be going off to college and on to their own careers, and then the house will be just the right size and paid for, just in time for retirement. Over the years, we squirreled away enough to buy the next-door neighbor's house in an estate sale after he passed, and I did most of the remodelling. We now have a rental house and an additional 3 acres

Attachments

·
I have G.A.S.
1,567 Posts
Last month we moved from 2200 sf to 918 sf! We're really happy about it.
A few years ago I married into a nice 2200 sf house in a great neighborhood on an acre & big 2 car attached. And the monthly payments!! The kids had trashed it & were grown & gone so we replaced all the doors & trim & windows & new tile floors etc. We put it on the market last month and it sold in 30 hours for only $3k less than we asked & it closed in 15 days. We pulled about $50k out of it too.
We did all the same stuff to the new (1941) house, + refinished 800 sf oak floor, sold a lot of stuff, gave a lot away & I miss my garage. However, the little house is paid for, no mortgage. And it's 2 blocks from my in-laws. (a good thing) And we travel for a living 8-10 months a year by nice big new RV so what did we need the big house for anyhow?
We have 9 acres about 15 miles out of town, we'll build out there with the savings we accumulate in the next several years. It'll be a small house too but have a nice big shop!

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
My home is 1600sq ft on 12 acres, the old farm house at my "flat farm" is about 1400sq ft on 57 acres, and the timber frame at the "hill farm" is presently under 1000 sq ft on 89 acres. The next addition is going to be my own concept .

This house is larger then what we need most times! Except when we entertain, the place fills up! The tin building that I built at the "flat farm" has become party central in the summer and fall. We have 700 of our closest friends over once every August.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The tax man says I have 2200 sq. ft. but I don't know what a Realtor would say. I designed it myself, had a contractor raise the shell, and then I finished the interior.

Through the design phase, my wife kept adding sq. feet and I argued for less to keep costs down. After it was built she decided it was too big (to keep clean) but yet she keeps saying that this room or that room should have been a foot wider, etc. I keep joking that the next house I build will be like the Tardis of Dr Who fame. We are empty nesters and don't need what we have now.

hmmm! A dr who fan in the family I know that i am plus other sci fi shows.If interested BBCA broadcasting 2009 Dr Who specials!SYFY supposed to start airing 2010 season.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Dang good question.. I'm not even sure how big it is :) I think it's 1600 or so. It should have been a long ranch but due to the property and the power lines going down through the center of the yard it was built with the 2 car garage underneath rather than on the end. It has a taller foundation (extra courses added) and 8.5' ceilings. Stick built in 85, I just put all new windows and doors and a roof on a few seasons ago and also put a new central air. I also added the garage door on the side of the foundation, replaced all three garage doors, put in a new 66K BTU pellet stove in the basement, top side of the house is all electric baseboard heat. Just poured new concrete sidewalks and a 36'x19' concrete pad for my boat behind the house (will be a garage eventually). Siting on 2.75 acres.

I need to repave the driveway and put all new decks up, this deck is getting rough.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
3900 sq ft of heated space and 2 car attached garage...as soon as the market recovers we will be down sizing! 2 kids out the door, no reason for just the 3 of us to stay in this monster.

·
10,825 Posts
3200 with a 3 stall (24x32) attatched garage on 2.5 acres. We do a lot of overnite visits here since we moved away from the rest of the family. This works good right now with 2 kids, the retirement home will be opposite of this place. 3200 square foot shed, 1800 s.f. home. :hide: :praying: :sidelaugh

Attachments

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,654 Posts
Dang good question.. I'm not even sure how big it is :) I think it's 1600 or so..

The house, or the boat?:ROF

That's a very nice craft. Looks like it maybe has an aft cabin? You've got a great visitor's quarters there, if you need extra space.

·
Citizen of Earth
16,336 Posts
The mrs. and I live in a 864 sq. ft house, 2 BR, 1 bath with a full basement with 8 foot ceiling. All on 1 acre with no other outbuildings on a dead end dirt road. I have no photos, to show, basically because the place looks terrible. I have 2 mortgages on the place and no money left over to fix it up or add a much needed shed. I'd love to have say 1500 sq, ft. with a 2 car garage on an acre on a paved road, but that's $300,000 in my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Our current house is a little under 1600 sq ft, for three of us. No basement, so the garage is always full of stuff. We're planning to build on our rural acreage in SC in the next year or so. Since it will just be the two of us, the next house will be smaller, but we'll have a basement, as well as a big barn for stuff. I promised the missus I'd build an attached garage JUST for the car! We'll see how that works out....

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
2750sq ft on the 2 main floors and that dosen't include the basement or the attic that has a 10ft ceiling under the widow walk area. Just the wife and I and we find it is just abt perfect as we have a room for everything.. for example our eat in kitchen is 442sq ft. Mind you the house is 105 years old and is an Eaton's catalog mailorder house... They were big on the praries in the early 1900's. Also have a 40x60 steel quonset as my tractor workshop and a 3 car garage that now is a shelter for our hay bales, the wifes outdoor stuff and my woodworking stuff.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts