My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
More Liberty, Less Tyrany
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading and searching and haven't found an answer yet.

My wife loves to mow but can't seem to be able to handle the steering anymore for our 2 acres. Arthritis, tendon surgeries, and lack of strenght are stopping her from using our newly acquired L130. She just can't do it anymore.

I've tried adjusting the front wheels and it has helped but it just isn't enough.

I love our L130 but we may need to find something a bit bigger that has power steering or a zero turn so that she can continue to mow.

We both find mowing time a relaxing part of our day. We put on our ear and eye protection and it gives us some solitude for the day.

How big will I have to go to find a tractor that has power steering ?? I don't want to go the Eztrack route.

I wonder if I will have to put my thinking cap on to see if somehow electric power steering off the newer ATVs can be fitted.. :thThumbsU

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
How big will I have to go to find a tractor that has power steering ??
Hi thebanjoman ,

Being that you posted this on the JD Forum , I assume you want a JD and if
your talking current series , the smallest JD Tractor with Power Steering that
I could find is the JD X360 , it has hydraulic Power Steering with a 5-position
tilt steering wheel ...

Later,x595

·
Super Moderator
16,327 Posts
The MSRP for the X360 is $5,099 Now if you want to go the Used route But a little Newer a GX255 has Power steering and foot pedal spring assist lift or the GX335,GX345 and GX355 all have power steering and Hydraulic lift.
The GX255 used can be had for anywhere from $3,700 to $5,000
GX335 can be had for $3,700 to $5,000 used
GX345 can be had for $4,200 to $5,200 used
GX355 can be had for $4000 to $5,300 used

·
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The MSRP for the X360 is $5,099 Now if you want to go the Used route But a little Newer a GX255 has Power steering and foot pedal spring assist lift or the GX335,GX345 and GX355 all have power steering and Hydraulic lift.
The GX255 used can be had for anywhere from $3,700 to $5,000
GX335 can be had for $3,700 to $5,000 used
GX345 can be had for $4,200 to $5,200 used
GX355 can be had for $4000 to $5,300 used
Thanks to all for the replies.

I'm still reading, learning, and finding this place is addictive.

We'll eventually find something with power steering for her, probably an older 300 series (at least that is what my reading tells me) , maybe something either broken or in parts so I can have the fun of putting it back together.

But at this time I already have too little time and too many projects. I've got a '29 Model A ford ready with the body ready to come off and she won't stop buying trees and other stuff to plant so I get sidetracked all the time.

I will say that even as much as she dislikes the L130 because she can't steer I love it as it is leaps and bounds above the old Craftsman we had.

Im finding the L130 easier to work on, maintain, and if nothing else I don't say bad words when I have to take the deck off. I can have this one off and out from under in 2 minutes so I can keep the underside clean. Putting it back is the same amount of time. I even do this when I sharpen the blades so I can flip the deck over and take the blades off with the air ratchet. Its easier than standing on my head.

It would take 10 minutes of cussing and another 10 to just get the deck off and double that time to put it back on with the Crap-stman.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
She will love a GX335 for ease of steering and hydraulically hoisting the deck! P/S is effortless and quick adn the turning radius is good and tight for trimming close.

Good luck!:)

·
Dan
3,954 Posts
I wouldn't pick ZTR I have use and they require much force to push and hold it.

Power steering on garden tractor are best but for me I kind hate because it so light.

John deer 318 have power steering.

Hey could you talk your dealer if he could let you trade in your old tractor for nice used one with power steering?

·
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Power steering on garden tractor are best but for me I kind hate because it so light.

John deer 318 have power steering.

Hey could you talk your dealer if he could let you trade in your old tractor for nice used one with power steering?
Alas I fear we'll be using the our $400 L130 for a while. When we discussed upgrading I got shut down fast, even when I explained it was for her benefit. So I'll just keep an eye out for that special deal, Keep the L130 running and cut the grass by myself.

One day...

·
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got a gx345 and its a nice machine with power steering and hydraulic deck lift.

I 'Fixed' the L130 for $66 in parts.

Added the adjustable tie rods on the front and set the proper toe-in and added a steering knob. Steering is a thousand times better and she can live with it now.

The toe-in was more like toe-OUT and made steering very difficult. Why JD let it go out like this is beyond me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You might be able to install a larger steering wheel to increase the leverage and reduce the effort. I don't know what diameter your wheel is but the X300 is 14" and I know it is larger than the current lower LA series. Just a thought that shouldn't cost too much.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Really?

I had a Husqvarna RZ5424 (zero turn) for a month or so and found it really easy to steer. They are strange to drive though. I would have your wife test drive one of those first. The Husqvarna ZTRs are nice since they have a hitch for towing a garden cart. I hauled around dozens of full loads of dirt and mulch with no problems.

Chris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts