My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Got Low Range????
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new GT with a degital hour meter. Got off tractor and kill switch shut engine down. Like a clutz, I left without turning off the switch and the meter ran till the battery died. Is there anyway to reset the meter or remove it and hook it up reverse polarity on a jumper to make it run backwards to reset it or will I have to purchase a new meter?
Thanks,

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
I agree with Jim .. Its been brought up many times over the years here ..and I never saw a way posted to reverse those Digital Hour meters.

How many hours do you think were added ?

·
Banned
2 Posts
no there isn't a way to reverse it ..I have tried..I made the same mistake got to hate when you forget to turn switch off ..I had to buy a new one as the old one got toasted when i tried to reverse it

·
Registered
115 Posts
maybe find a used one connect it until hours are right then reconnect the original. I would guess the older style " Non-Digital" will work, maybe someone else can answer.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
If you left it hooked up to a power source long enough, would it roll over & start from zero again?
That'd take a long time though. If it's a 10k hour meter it would take almost 14 months (1 year, 51 days & 16 hours) to roll all the way around.......minus the hours that you figure the key was left on.
You'd probably be better off to find a used hour meter with less hours than your tractor has on it & leave power to it until it reaches what you figure is the correct hours.

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
Why go to all that work when you will only make the same mistake Twice. :sidelaugh

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
I thought you were gonna say it was counting backwards on it's own... I was gonna say...
"name's Christine! My idiot brother bought her brand new!"

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
I say take a grease pencil and, to the right of the meter on the dash, write "- 20" or whatever the overage is. :hide:

Because most hour meters can run even when the engine isn't, they're no more trustworthy or believable than somebody's pencil anyway.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Been there. Done that. I had a good strong battery. Added just under 50 hours before it died. Fortunately, it lived again after being re-charged.

Disconnect the meter. Run the tractor for a season. Re-connect. Problem solved.

Regards,

Dan

P.S. You can be sure I always pull the key after shutting down for the day ... now.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Warning - wise guy post

According to Einstein, you could mow at the speed of light and time would stop for you, but as far as we know, it wouldn't go backwards. If everyone else was mowing at 5 mph, eventually your hour meter would be golden, since time for them wouldn't stop...it's all relative.

·
Banned
465 Posts
If you let the meter continue to run backwards, when it gets to "0.0", you'll have a new tractor again and your warranty will still be good. :sidelaugh

Bob

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
Running an hour meter backwards reminds me of that old joke...

What do you get when you play a country music song backwards?

You get your job back, your girl back, your truck back...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts