My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 1250 running that I picked up as a parts tractor, turns out it's in better shape than my 1886 & 1455. Anyway the case of the gen gets hot to the touch, seems to charge normally at around 3-5 amps, no noises, turns over good. The case of the motor seems to produce it's own heat around the coil attatching screws, around 130-150 degrees. Is that normal?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
I have the same problem with a 1050 .no I don,t think there suposed to run that hot.I don,t know if its shorting or what. to hot to handle.I thought maybe voltage reg .but not sure .sorry I can,t help you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Actually I have the same issue as well with my 1050. I just had the gen/starter rebuilt, and after I installed it and found that it was still really hot. I called and asked the guys that rebuilt it if that was correct. They said that this do run hot. It charges OK and starts OK now that I have had it rebuilt. \

·
ManicMechanic
44 Posts
Enclosed type generators have no cooling fans and therfore are designed to run hot.

Excerpt from: Delco-Remy Motor-Generator Brochure No. DR 9626 states: In-Part:

"Enclosed units are designed to operate at frame temperatures from 225 Degrees F to 250 Degrees F, which is considerably hotter then the hand can stand."

Source: My copy of the 1966 Bolens Service School booklet.

So apparently this is normal. However it also warns about hard starting heat damaging to the starter. Should wait a couple minutes between starting attempts to allow the starter/generator to cool off.

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,192 Posts
Enclosed type generators have no cooling fans and therfore are designed to run hot.

Excerpt from: Delco-Remy Motor-Generator Brochure No. DR 9626 states: In-Part:

"Enclosed units are designed to operate at frame temperatures from 225 Degrees F to 250 Degrees F, which is considerably hotter then the hand can stand."

Source: My copy of the 1966 Bolens Service School booklet.

So apparently this is normal. However it also warns about hard starting heat damaging to the starter. Should wait a couple minutes between starting attempts to allow the starter/generator to cool off.
Great info thank you.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, another reason I think this place is amazing. That is great info. I think I'm going to replace all the terminals and clean all the connections just as a precaution anyway.

Thanks again for the info.:thanku:

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
wonder why I burned my hand. now I don,t have to worry about frying eggs on my sg.thanks for that great info.all my engines start real fast. no worrys there thank god.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts