My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, in my searches for a trailer for my Bolens HT-18 I have been on a roller coaster ride. I have found deals for more than my budget and too many beaters that were home made that I wouldn't touch. Well, a month ago I decided that another option existed. I have been seeing old horse trailers for decent prices and got to thinking that, sure, a horse trailer capable of carrying two thousand pound plus horses would in fact hold my mechanical horse! Sure enough a two horse, double axle showed up on Craigslist and I decided to ask about it. I was a 1973 trailer that looked strait enough. I offered $300 and they accepted. I have gone from keeping the top on to keeping high sides to finally deciding the main purpose of this trailer was to haul my tractor. So I decided to chop her down to a managable repaint job without welding (one of these days I will learn). Here are the before and after pictures. I also dropped the weight of the trailer in half at least, which increases my hauling capacity. I need to fix the fenders and wire it up and then I'm finished.

There was more rust than it looks.

·
Old as Sin
2,187 Posts
great job , and best of all CHEAP .

shd

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Yeah, you couldn't beat the price, and it really looks good.

Don't forget to post pics when its finished. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
:thThumbsU WOW looks awesome great price too

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
That's using the ole noodle!! :trink40: What's the size--LxW.Got a plan yet on gate or ramps?

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
With that double axle, I believe you could haul almost any thing you want. Looks good.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's using the ole noodle!! :trink40: What's the size--LxW.Got a plan yet on gate or ramps?
To the longest board is is 9 feet and 5 feet wide(inside rails). I will most likely park my tractor with the front blade forward so that it hangs over the edges and allows the tractor to be centered over the axles. Eventually when I make it over to my Dad's farm I would like to square off the front of the bed and put a triangle of sheet metal over the hole. But, with my resources, this is what will have to work for now. I will probably spend a little money on good ramps or build some, don't know yet. I know that 5 footers will do since this trailer is low to the ground.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Only thing left to do is to secure the fenders to the frame and mount the license plate. She's not the prettiest thing in the world but she will be a workhorse!

·
Registered
277 Posts
wow nice trailer you could probably sell it for 600 now if you wanted too, nice job !

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
You've made it nice--that's a fact!! But before I did any cutting off and squaring;I'd consider extending the two sides up to the front of the longest board,add some support rails and fill in the floor.I don't think it would be front heavy.It would also give you room for more stuff!!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Nice looking trailer; you did a great job on it.

I would square up the framing and extend those sides to the front, and put the rail around the front. You will not be tongue heavy; in fact you may need a little more weight toward the front.

Again, nice work

Paul

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You've made it nice--that's a fact!! But before I did any cutting off and squaring;I'd consider extending the two sides up to the front of the longest board,add some support rails and fill in the floor.I don't think it would be front heavy.It would also give you room for more stuff!!
Well, two years later and after learning to weld on some tractor projects I got around to extending the frame forward to square it off. I will probably fill the holes with sheet metal and have since finished the rails. I will also need to mount small angle brackets to mount some more plywood onto the rails.

·
kccraftswoman
680 Posts
Hello very nice trailer. It should be able to handle all you throw at it.Do you know how much it weighs.I was thinking of doing the same thing but i am not sure if my grand voyager would pull it and stop it safely or stand it on end.happy trailering.:050::050::bellyemot:bellyemot:050::050:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts