My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fired up (after all fluid changes, lube, new plug, fresh gas, etc.) the new 1986 Troy-Bilt PTO Horse today and made two passes (crossing) in next year's garden plot.
Busting sod, but it did really good in spite of badly worn tines.

So, want to order new tines (1245, I believe).

However, www.custompartsinc.com has a Heavy Duty set at $185.95 and a "standard" set at $103.95.

Do I need to spend the extra amount for heavy duty, or are the standard OK?

Jeff

Attachments

·
Joe
1,222 Posts
Just my 2c but I think the standard will do ya fine unless you're planning on doing alot of tilling such as commercial tilling. That tiller is 24 years old and if it is just now needing tines I'd go with the standard.
Did you figure out how to get it into reverse?
Joe

·
Banned
297 Posts
Well I hope you have better luck than I did this winter,surfed the net,found a few places that said they sold old horse tines,ordered set of tines from one place,they sent me all one side,[there are left and right tines forget how many now,think I was a couple short at that and new bolts were not in box either],they took them back,ordered from second place,they did good,got heavy duty ones they was hard surfaced,so look for the place that sells hard surfaced ones,cause I forget the name of the place.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm sure you are aware tines must be assembled in a specific order. I HAD to follow the Owners Manual exactly put them on. It's the only way to get proper tillage.

Regards,
Ford

·
Banned
297 Posts
Yeah,left right ones too,I just went at it like this,took one set,row[not all at once] off,than replaced that set,and even with old tines still on,it is slightly confusing,so don't take them all off at once.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,295 Posts
As mentioned above, the "standard" set will last for years unless you are going to be tilling a lot of gardens each year. And as also mentioned above, it is IMPORTANT to assemble them correctly as per the manual. otherwise your tilling won't work as well. The folks at Troy-Bilt spent many MANY hours coming up with just the right way to assemble the tines for maximum efficiency and ease of operation.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Moved to the Tiller Talk Forum.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
$185 for the case hardened tines, whew, they've gone up. I bought mine several years ago & cringed over the $100 price then. They have held up well though.
If you are in a rocky area or as the other's have stated, doing a lot of work for other's, the hardened set would be the way to go.
I'm with the other's take one set off at a time & replace them, it's just easier.

Ronnie

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ordered standard tines on Tuesday. Received and installed them Thursday. Couldn't help but take another pass through the newly begun 40'x60' garden.

Holy Petunia! I thought this Horse worked well before. I cannot believe the difference the new tines made! Just pulverizing my sod clumps into nearly powder. Unbelievable!!

A couple or so more passes and I believe I'll have 8" of finely tilled soil.

Thanks for all of the tips. :thanku:

Fr. Jeff

·
Banned
297 Posts
Good,yeah I got a 5ft king kutter on a ck30 kioti,and it don't do as good a job as the troy horse,,its just that horse takes a long time on about 1/2 acre garden!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts