My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've made some progress on the Custom 6 w/ Tecumseh HH120.

It was a little bit rougher than I thought.

I've haven't seen so much wiring twisted and taped, since my first car with 6X9's sitting in the back window.

Keys were lost and ignition switch was very rough. I added a new 4 post ignition switch.

Toggle switch for headlights was broke and everything was done in black wire, with one headlight still working.

wrong color on engine cover, but Ford Gray is all I had, I could't bring myself to put dirty old cover back on.

Tecumseh SS Ignition was removed and mis-placed. I installed the overnight solutions conversion.

Starter/generator pulley was lost. Hope to have new pulley in the mail tomorrow.

Biggest find was while picking up plow and mowing deck, a ST12 looking to be more complete than this one, sitting wrapped in a tarp under a pine tree. As soon as I can get my trailer out of storage, I'm picking it up.

Plow had sat uncovered under a tree for many years. I power washed it and sanded, wire wheeled it, then two sons helped me paint it. This was their Grandfathers Tractor, that he had bought in 1972. It's got sentimental value to my wife.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Just keep at it and it will take shape :) the plow turned out great.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,270 Posts
A little at a time... Rome wasn't built overnight!

·
Finally at 1k!
1,518 Posts
You know, if I get get my SS12 to not smoke, I might just try that set up.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well after cutting open three fingers on new pulley (very sharp) having the wrong size belt (can't believe Advanced Auto had correct belt in stock) battery being dead. It started on second try. I would've never guessed it would start as easy as it did.

I took it for a quick test, before handing it off to my son. The tractor hasn't run in close to 10 years and was last run by my late father in law.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
He looks very happy :)

·
Finally at 1k!
1,518 Posts
how much did the overnight solutions setup set ya back?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Looks good!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought the ignition with the upgraded Bosch coil. It was $135 to the door.

It might be the most simple thing I've done on the tractor. It took longer to find a spot to mount the coil, then everything else.

I also switched to a 4 post ignition switch, so I don't need a separate 12volt switch.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,689 Posts
It looks a lot like my Compact 7M!..I like the HH120,I'm surprised one fits in that tractor,it must be a tight squeeze!--it's a hot rod tractor now,with double the original HP!....does it have the hi-lo tranny or a straight 3 or 4 speed one??..

Your son looks very pleased taking it for a spin!...I love seeing an old Sears come back to life and bring some joy to someone!..they really built them to last back then,the fact so many remain is proof they are pretty rugged..

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It has the 4 speed trans.

It seems like it has enough power to climb a mountain.

My wife is really looking forward to driving the tractor this weekend. Her father bought it new when she was born and used to drive her around on it as a kid.

I've been sandblasting the wheel weights, this is taking more time than I anticipated.

I have another set of wheels with the chains installed, I'll try to get some more pics up this weekend.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts