My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Bikes/Tractors what else
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since our only son died in 2004, I didn't much care for Father's Day much anymore.

Much to my pleasure, someone on the Brit Bike discussion group posted a link to a story about fathers, sons, and motorcycles. I'm sure someone else here will enjoy this.

Dan

"Subject: Fathers, Sons, and Motorcycles

Here's an essay I saw in last Sunday's New York Times on how fathers and
sons can bond working on motorcycles. Probably that's nothing new to anyone
here, but it's nice to see the general public get that message.

http://fish.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/14/fathers-sons-and-motorcycles/?emc=eta1

"

·
Retired and Busy!
10,175 Posts
danbike

Please accept my sincere condolences in the loss of your son.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Dan, I am very sorry to hear of the loss of your son. I don't know how I would live if something happened to my little guy. Sounds like you were one of the good ones, out there working on the bikes with him. Don't let Father's day make you sad. You should honor your son's memory by celebrating the fortune you had and recalling the good times. Not everyone has had the opportunity to be a father.

I like your linked story though any activity helps us bond with our sons and daughters.

My son used to come to me when I was busy working from home, and say "dad, do you want to..." followed by a little shoulder shrug. Basically saying, "I'll take anything you have, just want to spend some time with you".

We dads are frequently overlooked, though readily blamed for overlooking. While there are exceptions, we go make the money to support our family's world. We worry about the bills, the insurance, and so forth. Some of us unfortunately feel like the responsibility ends there.

I've led cub scouts, girl scouts, and helped coach t-ball and soccer. These kids need dads. You have a lot to give, and there are many who need that. Get involved with scouting, 4-H or county sports. Honor your son's memory by making a difference in other kids lives!

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
since our daughter died a little over 5 years ago, all the holidays suck. She would have been 22 a few months ago. We keep our heads up for our 16 year old son, but, the holidays all suck now.

Very sorry about your loss.

·
Bikes/Tractors what else
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many years back, I worked for the Chicago and North Western railroad. Those who worked there knew it as the CNW, Cheap and Nothing Wasted. David called it the "daddy choo choo". I still think of that many times when I pass one of the old lines.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
You mean the NY Times didn't try to say it would cause cancer or global warming or other stuff :)

·
Bikes/Tractors what else
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I doubt Al Gore or Bill Clinton would have any idea on how to ride a motorcycle, much less a vintage Brit Bike with the shift on the other side and no electric starter.

You mean the NY Times didn't try to say it would cause cancer or global warming or other stuff :)

·
Citizen of Earth
15,291 Posts
My son died as an infant in 2007, but I am still a dad to a 22 year old girl. So it is with mixed feelings that I look at father's day, sad wondering what could have been, and enjoying what is.

·
JD318
990 Posts
I lost my first son 21 years ago this month at 5 months of age.. Takes a lot of inner strength to get through some of the "landmark" holidays, like father's day, and Mother's day, and Birthdays. Happy Father's day to all you who have lost. You never quit being a Dad!!!

·
Registered
377 Posts
My only son turned 24 a couple of months ago. He's in the Navy and doing well for himself, but they're headed back to Iraq first of the year...this time on the ground. He's already been to the gulf twice on cruises and on the ground in horn of Africa for a year, but that's the name of the game I guess. Still, it scares the crap out of me. Can't imagine what I would do if anything ever happened to him.

danbike and the others - condolences to you.

My Dad passed 6 years ago, 1 month before turning 81. I think about him and thank him every day. Like a guy said one time, "Don't Forget To Call Your Dad[Daddy]...I Wish I Could Call Mine".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts