My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I picked up a good condition SB800 snowblower. After removing the skid shoes, I noticed some rust around this area. One SB800 that I looked at but passed on had one of these skit shoes torn out.

Has anyone fabricated a patch over this area, and then attached the skit shoes to the patch? I could run mine a few years this way, but I think I want to get this done sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Congratulations on finding the SB800. This must mean you also found the frame, QH4000 and drive kit. That is not easy.:trink40:

As far as the shoes for the blower, you probably found they are bolted on to two keyhole shaped openings in the blower body. If this area is rusted out, I would try welding in a 2" piece of angle iron and maybe pre-drilling and filing the keyholes. It would be tough to bolt on the metal needed. The only reason Honda used the keyholes is because the screw heads are not accessible from inside the blower.

·
Banned
2 Posts
This weekend I picked up a good condition SB800 snowblower. After removing the skid shoes, I noticed some rust around this area. One SB800 that I looked at but passed on had one of these skit shoes torn out.

Has anyone fabricated a patch over this area, and then attached the skit shoes to the patch? I could run mine a few years this way, but I think I want to get this done sooner rather than later.

yes i have done this with plate steel on both sides ..then attached shoe back on

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yes, long and hard jorney, but the unit is nice. I ended up with two quick hitches, but one is missing the brackets to attach to the mower.

I also picked up with a almost new Honda 46 inch blade w/quick hitch.

The shoe area on the SB800 has some rust, but is not rusted out.

I will work with a metal fabricator to weld someting over and re-tap for the shoes. I would also think that there would be a better way to drain water from down in that cavity behind the shoes. Good place for water to rust out that area. Thanks for the replies!

I have the weights, two of them have the back arm broken off. I believe I can wedge these in the middle. Also missing the weight lock bar, so I might have to make up one.

I noticed that boats.net is no longer carrying parts diagrams for the SB800. I wish I would of taken pictures of it before it went down. Might you have one?

·
Registered
492 Posts
I never thought to make a copy. Wish I did to get the Honda numbers.
Several years ago I read that this snowblower was made for Honda by some company (don't remember name) that also makes blowers for other brands. I found that Kubota used the same blower and I bought a Kubota drive shaft with universal joints that was identical to the Honda. I wonder if anyone knows who the manufacturer is?

On edit:
I found the blower on the a Kubota site. The GF1800 has the 42" cut and uses the same quick mount system.

http://kubota.ca/en/productdetail.aspx?trail=0|69|132&prodid=428

Now, who makes it?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the Kubota info, I was looking for that. It looks like the same unit!

I found info on the SB800A here.

http://www.rugwire.com/honda/

The SB800A is also an SB752A in Canada and uses standard 2,500 rpm front PTO. Manufactured and supplied to Honda by AGRO-TEC/RAD, the unit is a bit different then others because it spins clockwise.

Their website is here;

http://www.radinter.com/radtech/anglais/prod.htm

I read this in another forum on the U joint;

Weasler makes a lot of after market parts. I found some info where a guy ordered two new yokes, one had the 1" 15 spline quick coupling, other had 3/4" X 7/8" slide tube, and a new u-joint (series 6 in catalog). Total cost a little over $100, with standard U-Joints. I would just purchase the Kubota ones though depending on cost.

Lots of Pictures of the SB800A's here some show patches over where the back skids attach to the blower.

http://formulah.com/tractors.php

·
Registered
492 Posts
Knowing who makes this snowblower may help when that Sunday paper finds its way into the scroll and bends it up.

I have always used the bar with the weights and have not lost any. :) But that doesn't answer the question. The bar would be simple to make. All parts should be available at one of the big box home stores.

The bar is 3/4" steel, 14 5/8" long with 2 holes drilled for the hair pin clips, spaced 14" apart.

That plow looks new!

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Knowing who makes this snowblower may help when that Sunday paper finds its way into the scroll and bends it up.

I have always used the bar with the weights and have not lost any. :) But that doesn't answer the question. The bar would be simple to make. All parts should be available at one of the big box home stores.

The bar is 3/4" steel, 14 5/8" long with 2 holes drilled for the hair pin clips, spaced 14" apart.

That plow looks new!
Great info! Thanks!

Both the blade and the QH4000 look new, the blade does need a new bottom scraper, and one of the skids is worn though. The previous owner took pretty good care of it I guess.[/

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the shear pin part numbers from Honda.

72998-0027 BOLT, SHEAR (5/16X2") (GR. 5) (Honda Code 2613107)

Looks to be 3 of them total.

I also noticed that boats.net has the parts breakout of a SB10136 two stage blower. It looks to be the same as the SB800 except for the belt. Dave can you take a look at this and tell me what you think?

I was thinking of doing some cleanup on my blower with POR15. Will let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
492 Posts
That snow blower part number, SB10136 seems to be a dead-end on Boats.net. Are you sure it is the correct number? All my searches turn up with no match found.

·
Registered
492 Posts
The SB1013B blower is almost exactly like the SB800. The diagrams you posted of component parts look like they came out of the SB800 manual. This link on Boats.net, I thought was gone forever. Good find.

I did a search and found the SB1013B was sold as an accessory for the HT3813 and HT4213 lawn tractors, so it was designed to work with the 2 cylinder Honda 13 or 14 HP engines. The Quick Hitch must have been introduced toward the end of the 3813 and 4213 production. There is some small differences in the drive when compared withe the 4514 and 4518, but the blower components should all fit, I hope.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
From what I can tell, only the belt looks different on the drive setup, the rest look like the parts from the DK4500 kit. I have confirmed though the Honda dealer that many of the parts are the same as for the SB800.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts