My Tractor Forum banner
101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: Honda pic thread 4514

Here's some pictures of my latest project: a 4514 that I picked up for $200. I've never had a Honda tractor before, mostly Simplicity over the years, but I'm really liking this one. It was severely rusted under the seat, not running and had been sitting outside for years, but the plastic came back surprisingly good sitting in Armour all for a few days and with some welding and Bondo, the sheet metal looks acceptable. Cuts nice, runs nice and just the right size for my severely downsized yard.

Attachments

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,085 Posts
Re: Honda pic thread 4514

Here's some pictures of my latest project: a 4514 that I picked up for $200. I've never had a Honda tractor before, mostly Simplicity over the years, but I'm really liking this one. It was severely rusted under the seat, not running and had been sitting outside for years, but the plastic came back surprisingly good sitting in Armour all for a few days and with some welding and Bondo, the sheet metal looks acceptable. Cuts nice, runs nice and just the right size for my severely downsized yard.
They are extremely nice tractors and your's looks great Fonz. I've had a few, but Wife could never get used to the fact the hydro shifted back into neutral every time she used the brske, Her HT3810 stays in the same gear when the brake pedal is released so we kept it instead for her.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Larry. I'm supposed to go pick up a 3813 today so I'll know what your talking about with the gear driven trans. I'd like to buy a 4218 with a snow thrower but haven't been able to find any locally.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here’s how my 89 3813 sits as of a few hours ago. In the process of doing a mild resto on it

This other photo shows how it was when i purchased it some months back. Guy painted it with a brush and roller!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have two 4518's and have never seen a more over engineered mower in my life. Literally like mowing grass with half an Accord. As an example, recently I went to purchase a new starter cable that goes from the battery to the starter. Discontinued of course. So I took the prefix of the part number, did a google search to find out that the SAME part was available for a Honda car and was able to buy one of those. A slight difference in the connector for the starter, it was straight versus a 90 degree angle, but aside from that, the same part.

I heard once that when they built these things, Honda did not lay off and had a surplus of auto engineers. Instead of laying them off, they said "go forth and make amazing power equipment" which as we know they did. Aside from my two 4518's, I also have the following Honda gear (I am a TOTAL Honda fan)

Honda 6522 Diesel Tractor - TLB
Honda ES6500 Generator
Honda HR194 Push mower (1987 vintage and STILL going strong)
Honda GX270 Powered Troybuilt Chipper/Shredder (swapped out the Briggs with a new GX270 that I found on e-bay for under $200)
1983 Honda V45 Sabre, mint condition (never seen rain) - talk about a bike WAY ahead of its time
2015 Honda VFR800
Honda tiller ... one of those little baby tillers for the warden to use in the garden
Honda UMK431 Weed wacker going on 20 years old .. still going strong
2007 Honda Rincon ATV (with built in GPS)

Again, I am a huge Honda fan. Someday I need to own one of their cars. And lastly, not many people know this but Honda also makes Private Jet airplanes !!

·
Registered
133 Posts
4514 bought for $500 almost 10 years ago, swapped on a flamed 4518 hood and 4518 rear fender with adjustable seat tracks. have re-done the seat cover in a darker leather and laced on tightly since this pic from 2019.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

state it's in today, what started as a 3 hour replace the PTO bearing,,, front damper was bad and ruined driveshaft, then timing belt as it had never been changed and motor was already out, found water pump pulley worn out. did valve clearance check and new plugs, have to re-tap bolt on ex. manifold for shield... then can reinstall motor. already have floor and rear fender back on now and new front tires mounted .: still need to replace deck bearings and work on front axle. That driveshaft design is a serious screwup on Honda's part. Had they enlarged the opening another half inch, it would save a LOT of work. I can just picture the design engineers at lunch, the steering column guy says to the driveline guy, : Say, how large is your driveshaft? Oh, about an inch, OK I'll allow 2 inches,,,

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
100 Posts
Found this one at auction today. My first ever Honda rider. This thing is an awesome runner. Almost like a diesel. And the Honda quality is apparent in everything. Son is aerating the field with it now. Anything I should know or look for?

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Plant

·
Registered
403 Posts
Having owned one (previous machine) Honda 4514 w/42" deck not sure where "diesel" comes into it. Fine little machine but gotta say (now that I have a real diesel Kubota 3 cyl G2160), the Honda is nothing like a diesel. :D

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,085 Posts
Having owned one (previous machine) Honda 4514 w/42" deck not sure where "diesel" comes into it. Fine little machine but gotta say (now that I have a real diesel Kubota 3 cyl G2160), the Honda is nothing like a diesel. :D
I think the reference was to having a real liquid cooled engine as opposed to a Big Box air cooled mower. I had several 4514s (same engine) but even they were underpowered in heavy spring grass as was our HT3810 they replaced.

Great machines if the grass load was not too heavy and the Honda quality was very apparent, as was Honda's over engineering for a grass cutter.

Ultimately we went to an HT 4120, a Hondeere (20hp Honda twin in a red JD chassis)
The 4120 has no problem with the heavy spring grass over the septic bed, but it does still overwhelm the power bagger if the grass gets ahead of us.

Ah, if only I was 20yrs younger and we had a heard of goats.........:)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend your Kubota. I was referring to the look of the inline l c engine
Being the owner of a real Case diesel and a Cummins ISB I do know the difference.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend your Kubota. I was referring to the look of the inline l c engine
Being the owner of a real Case diesel and a Cummins ISB I do know the difference.
No offense at all. Was just confused to the reference is all. Because the characteristics of the 2 are totally different. I think the closest thing (in gasoline) to a diesel characteristic I've seen/had was my old Allis Chalmer B10 on which I installed an old style Briggs 16hp one lunger with 32 cu in. That old thing would chug around and I had a stack on it. People would come up and ask if it was a diesel because it never needed high rpm to do it's job. Literally did everything at just over idle. Loved that old machine. Had it for nearly 30 years. Parts became near impossible to find though (it was 1961 or so).

101 - 114 of 114 Posts