My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was gifted a Honda HRB217HXA mower because the self propel wasn't working any longer. The control cable to adjust the propel speed is at the max so I can't adjust it. The pulleys underneath seem to be ok. There was a thread on here about the transmission being low on hydrostatic fluid. I'm wondering if that might be my issue. It probably needs at least a belt and some hydrostatic fluid?

When working on this mower, how far can I flip it? Can I stand it up vertically instead of laying it on it's side?

This is the thread I'm referencing. It's 10 years old though. Help with Honda erratic hydrostatic self propel

·
Super Moderator and over 6K Posts!
6,682 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. I am not able to help answer your questions as my primary interest is in the pre 1982 Lawnboys however I am sure someone with knowledge of the Honda self propel system will be along with some insight. Again, welcome and enjoy your stay. Bill

Reactions: bcrazycramer

·
Registered
424 Posts
I was gifted a Honda HRB217HXA mower because the self propel wasn't working any longer. The control cable to adjust the propel speed is at the max so I can't adjust it. The pulleys underneath seem to be ok. There was a thread on here about the transmission being low on hydrostatic fluid. I'm wondering if that might be my issue. It probably needs at least a belt and some hydrostatic fluid?

When working on this mower, how far can I flip it? Can I stand it up vertically instead of laying it on it's side?

This is the thread I'm referencing. It's 10 years old though. Help with Honda erratic hydrostatic self propel
Welcome to the forum! Even though I use mostly Lawn-Boy I do own an HRX217 for when the Lawn boys become unreliable. I would check the hydrostatic fluid level just to eliminate any doubt and then go ahead on replacing the belt to see where that gets you. Also you can hold it vertically as long as the spark plug faces up you should have no worries about oil. Hope this was of some help!

-Seth

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well that was an experience pulling the hydrostatic transmission out. It was extremely low. It is leaking from one side where the driveline enters the transmission. Can I get new seals for this?

It took quite a bit to fill it up. Add fluid, rotate driveline, repeat for 5-10 minutes.

It self propels now at least until it runs out of fluid.

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
10,061 Posts
If Honda doesn't make the seal available, you could pull the seal, measure both the I.D. and O.D. of the metal parts (or bundle everything up and take it with you), and take the measurements/parts and the old seal to an industrial shop that sells seals. If you in/near a city, it shouldn't be a problem.

Note, this isn't a zero-risk thing, as it's possible they don't find a matching seal, and then, depending on if you mangled the old seal, you wind up not having anything to put in there. Then it's find another unit, or perhaps a more expensive fix in machining the hole a bit larger for a seal you can get (or perhaps put in a bushing and use a smaller seal).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.