My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, newbie here, I have searched the site for a few specific issues with my HT 3813 tractor K1 version, cant really find any answers. But I know there are a bunch of you who know this tractor inside and out. I have it second hand, and have done alot of work on it. I rebuilt the deck and worked on the engine too and now it mows great. Only a couple issues remain.
1.When the tractor is moving the transmission gives off a high pitch whine, it is a MAT trans. Is this a bad bearing or normal thing? The oil seems to be fine in the trans.
2. I changed the timing belt and set the proper deflection, but on idle I hear a slight whine coming from the engine, not super loud but it still concerns me.
3. I mow my lawn in 30-40 minutes, in 3rd gear, grass is not super tall really. But the hood of the tractor becomes very hot as does most of the engine.
Both of the lines to the radiator are of course hot and the overheat alert does not turn on or anything out of the ordinary.

The tractor has been in service for 3 months now, and runs and cuts great. These are just some final concerns I have. Do I need to do more fixing or is this normal?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
All sounds normal. The trans in these are noisy by nature... I have yet to see one that did not have a whine to it. Now having said that, it should not be excessive. The hood does get relatively warm due to the fact the hot air from the rad gets blown right into the engine compartment and then out. Most vert. shaft air cooled engines blow it down and out so you don't get the same heat on the hood.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome! Thanks for the input. I only have one of these machines so I got nothing to compare it to.

·
Registered
231 Posts
1.When the tractor is moving the transmission gives off a high pitch whine, it is a MAT trans. Is this a bad bearing or normal thing? The oil seems to be fine in the trans.

When you are driving it and you hear the whine, pull the gear selector slightly towards you, just enought to put pressure on it, but not enought to make the clutch slip. See if the whine stops when there is pressure on the shifter and if the whine comes back when you release the shifter. If the whine stops with pressure on the shifter, you are going to have to put bearings in the drive clutch. If there is no change, then it is just normal gear noise. If it is the bearings, there is no rush to change them. You can drive it many years like that as long as the noise does not get to you. It will get louder with time and can make you think that your ears are ringing.

2. I changed the timing belt and set the proper deflection, but on idle I hear a slight whine coming from the engine, not super loud but it still concerns me.

The whine from a timing belt at very low rpm is normal. It is especially noticable when you install a new belt, as you have just done.

3. I mow my lawn in 30-40 minutes, in 3rd gear, grass is not super tall really. But the hood of the tractor becomes very hot as does most of the engine.
Both of the lines to the radiator are of course hot and the overheat alert does not turn on or anything out of the ordinary.

Very normal...Heat rises and that hood is not well vented to let the hot air out so it it rises. If you were having an engine heating issuse, the alarm would sound and you would know it. It sounds like that annoying alarm that sounds when you put you tractor in gear and still have the emergency brake on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply Bob. I will drive the tractor and check the shifter to see if it helps. Otherwise the noise is not too loud at all, considering I cant hear anything with the cutting deck engaged.

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you cannot hear the whine with the deck engaged, you don't have anything to worry about. When the bearings go in the drive clutch, the whine will be distinctly louder than the operating noise of the deck. Sort of like the alarm when you put the tractor in gear with the emergency brake on, but continuous.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The noise sounds like its just the gears in the trans. Overall it is not annoying or super loud. Now I have much less to worry about. Its a great machine and I hope to get some more years out of it. Overall I don't know how much use it had in the past, but it certainly seemed abused. The reason why it stopped running was because there was a mouse nest under the timing belt cover. Thanks for your input. :thanku:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Most of the HT3813's will out live their owners if they are well maintained. You should get many, many years of service out of yours. There is something about that timing belt cover that seems to be the perfect house for a mouse. It is very common.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts