My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:

I need a good self-propelled lawn mower to mow where a lawn tractor can’t go. Consumer Report thinks highly of the Honda HRX Series Self Propelled Lawn Mower.

Would you be so kind to share your experiences? Good and bad.

THank you.
Regards,
FRIZ

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi:

I need a good self-propelled lawn mower to mow where a lawn tractor can’t go. Consumer Report thinks highly of the Honda HRX Series Self Propelled Lawn Mower.

Would you be so kind to share your experiences? Good and bad.

THank you.
Regards,
FRIZ

:confused:

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
Having been a Snapper dealer for many years, I don't necessarily agree with CU's opinion of walk behind mowers. They test them for performance when new, but overlook the cost of future repairs and availability of parts. A ten year old Honda is like a ten year old computer- nobody wants to know you. If you really want value, visit your local mower shop and find a Snapper in their scrap pile. They're ususally there because of engine trouble. Bring one of these back to life and it will outlast several new Honda's, and parts are cheap and readily available, even for a 30 year old machine. Of course, for the freight you're going to drop on a new Honda, you could buy a new Hi-Vac Snapper (not the POS they sell in Sears), and still have money left over.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I tend to agree. I had a honda mower and it was "fine", but certainly not "cream of the crop". Recently I purchased a Snapper and it is a whole different ballgame. Much heavier built and overall a better cut. If you're buying new, they have a good array of optional engines on the hi-vac series.

The other thing, the Honda GCV engines are consumer grade, and in my experience, not that great. I prefer a Briggs to the GCV Hondas. The GX series Hondas are great motors - just like Kawasaki, Briggs Intek, and of course the best engines of all - Lawn Boy!

In all honesty - don't get hung up on Consumer Reports - you're doing the right thing by asking the lawn mower geeks here - they know alot better than the testers at CR. Same thing with cars - the ratings from CR are so silly its not even close to reality : "the XXX model has 7 cupholders vs the 3 offered by the ZZZ model, so we've rated it a best buy!"

·
Old engine addict
292 Posts
I'll second that... Consumer Reports is a joke. Also, anything with the Honda name on it is WAAYYYY over-hyped by them. You could slap a Honda sticker on a bucket of dog $h** and I'm pretty sure those idiots would rave about it...

Go find yourself a little 19" Lawn Boy from the late 70's era. Best mowers ever made (do I REALLY need to make that claim in THIS forum??)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts