My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on putting together a "hybird" mower of sorts from the parts of five different mowers. Each of the mowers used to create this mower were of the same brand, Honda, and some small modifications were made by me, and I improvised one item while building it to both improve it in some areas, and it insure it's operation in others.

Let me begin by saying that the neither original manufacturer, nor it's employees or agents have offered any advise, recommendations, or endorsements to this mower. It is something that I undertook myself through examination of the fit and operation of the various parts and pieces used to build it to be certain of it's safe operation.

So here is Franken Mower Sr.


It started out as the deck to a Honda HRT216TDA.


A nice thing about the HRT216TDA deck is that it can be used as a side discharge, mulcher or rear bagger.

The HRT216TDA was originally equipped with a GCV160 engine, zone start and a three speed gear driven transmission.

The original engine on the deck had failed due to lack of maintenance by its previous owner, and the condition of the transmission was suspect as well but the deck, wheel adjusters and handle mounts were solid. When I removed the transmission, I saw that the drive mechanism and belt tensioner for the HRT216TDA were similar to that of the HRM215 mowers I'd worked on in the past, which got me to thinking...would a hydrostatic transmission from an HRM215HXA fit? By golly, I just happened to have one on hand so I took some measurements, made some comparisons,


...and it did...

The controls for the hydro transmission on the handles are different than gear driven models, so the handle from the HRM215HXA was used as well,


The sweet thing about the hydrostatic transmission is that it can be adjusted from no movement all the way to full speed while on the fly, with the shift lever, and minor changes in speed can be made with the engagement lever at the handle bar.

Next was the engine. I had a GCV160 that would have bolted right on, but then I thought Franken Mower deserved a commercial grade engine, and I happened to have a GXV140 from an HRM215SDA like this one available.


I wound up using the blade adaptor from the HRM215SDA as well. It wasn't my first choice because those blade adaptors were known to bond almost permanently with the PTO, but it was available and I greased the PTO liberally with anti-seize.

I chose to use the blades for the current HRX217 series of mowers because they've been rated very highly for their quality of cut.



The HRR/HRS/HRT series of mowers have an under deck that is made of three individual pieces that are bolted to the outer deck and each other except in one area at their lower edge. I drilled where the three come together and bolted them at that point which seems to strengthen the deck from side to side besides holding those three pieces together.


Finally, the controls on the handles of the HRM215HXA are for operating a Roto Stop blade brake while the HRT216TDA was a zone start. I wanted to use the Roto Stop lever to operate the flywheel brake on the engine, but I had to improvise a bit because the cable for the flywheel brake fell about 1/2" short of reaching the control lever for the Roto Stop. A trip to the hardware store and I picked up a link to join two lengths of chain together that works out just fine.


Finally, some new wheels all around and a new mulch plug. I've got the side discharge chute, and may eventually find a bag. It could use some touch up paint here and there, but for now, the mower runs and operates great.



Sort of following Honda's way of labeling their mowers, I'll say this has gone from an HRT216TDA to an HRT215HDBW1
HR=Honda Rotary
T=Steel deck, side discharge, mulch, rear bag
21=21"
5=GXV140
H=Hydrostatic transmission
D=Zone start
BW1=bwdbrn1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
great job! a clever guy you are. glad to see some one else likes frankin mowers. i have several my self
They're fun to put together, that's for sure. Even better when they work!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,765 Posts
Wow, that came out great! It really does look factory built! I keep getting tempted to make a Frankenmower but I don't have many spare parts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Yblock. Since I took those pictures, I picked up another engine that had a cleaner shroud and muffler shield that I put on Frankenmower Sr., and I actually cut some grass with it the other day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's been a long time since I updated this, but Frank went through another growth spurt and sprouted legs this last summer.

I located a pair of front wheels from Honda's short lived HRZ216 and Frank grabbed them up and put them on.:D

It's kind of like mowing with a shopping cart.

Now I call it the HRTZ215HDBW1.

 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top