My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just picked up a brand new 2006 Honda hrr216 still in the box. Assembled and added fuel and oil and started right up. I'm wondering if there is a way to increase the ground speed. 3rd gear is a little slower than I'm used to with the 3 speed L Bs I have. I use 3rd gear a lot to transport across my property to trim. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
They're belt drive so it might be possible to change the pulleys to get some more out of it, but since it's new, you most likely got the extended warranty Honda is offering o new walk behinds, so any alterations would most likely void the warranty.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
The only other option would be increasing the engine speed but this would again void the warranty. Honda is really bad about warranty claims. But you should check with Honda and see if the warranty is still valid. It was bought 7 year ago...

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I glossed right over the 2006 when I read the first post.:banghead3 just read the NIB part. So much for that speed reading course.:sorry1:

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
I had the same issue with an HR216, I ended up adjusting the cable a little tighter and it took care of the problem.
Yes check the tension on the drive clutch cable. If you hold back on the mower and tilt the front wheels up the rear wheels should spin on the ground. If you are able to make them stop by pulling back on it the cable is too loose. Hope that makes sense :howdy:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey thanks for the help guys. I did adjust the cable and it brought speed up a little but still slow. It's slower in 3rd gear than my 3 speed l bs in second gear. I guess I can live with it for now but I'm wondering if the trans might be failing or might just need to be used more. Has been sitting in box for very long time.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I just did some searching and top speed should be 3.2 mph. A little on the slow side so you may want to look at the pulley idea.

·
5,864 Posts
Hi! I've never clocked myself when mowing but I think I have a pretty fast pace when pushing a mower. For reference a 15 minute mile is 4 MPH and a 20 minute mile is 3 MPH. I was a competative walker for 25 years and could walk a race at an average speed of around a 10 minute mile which is 6 MPH over a 3 mile course. The average person that goes out for a brisk walk would average about a 15 to 16 minute mile or about 4 MPH. With this in mind I would think the highest speed would need to be closer to 4.0. Not sure what the specs are from other manufacturers but it would be interesting to get a comparison. Bill

Just checked Toro's web site and their Recycler series Personal pace has a top speed of 4.0 MPH and their 30" series are rated at a top speed of 4.5 MPH.

Just check a couple of Ariens mowers and they were rated at 4.0 top speed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeh I would be amazed if this thing even moves at 3.2mph. Def not a speed demon. I do however like the fact that I can pull it backwards without having to shift gears.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I don't know of any RWD mower that requires ****ing to pull backwards. Most mowers just spin the transmission backwards, adding some resistance. The better ones use either special wheel clutches (Toro) or a clutch inside the transmission (John Deere, some Honda's) that let the wheels spin freely.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Is yours an HRR216TDA? Here's what the owner's manual says the speeds should be:

1st: 1.7 mph (2.8 km/h)
2nd: 2.6 mph (4.2 km/h)
3rd: 3.2 mph (5.2 km/h)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm gonna look into swapping pulleys to speed it up a bit and thanks to yblock I'm also gonna check both my lawnboy gold trans. They will pull backwards in gear but pull so hard I feel like I'm gonna break something.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Before swapping out pulleys, etc. double-check to make sure the engine speed is correct when the throttle is in FAST. Use a tachometer and adjust as needed.

If your mower was indeed new-in-box, did you buy it from a retail store? If so, the proof of purchase is all that's needed to ensure the warranty is in place. Doesn't matter how old the mower is, the warranty clock starts the day the unit is sold at retail.

Now if you didn't buy it from a retail store and don't have a proof-of-purchase, well, the warranty clock started on the day the original dealer bought it from Honda. I can look it up if you'll share the serial number, located here:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts