My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. My Honda Harmony HRB216 walk-behind mower is no longer driving. The wheels move when I engage the drive, but very weakly -- not with enough power to propel the mower.

Previous to this, the mower would drive even when the drive clutch lever was not engaged (that was fun).

Any ideas of what I should be looking at? I purchased the shop manual and I'm going to have a go at fixing this myself.

Thanks.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Either it will be shaft driven or belt, If it is belp it may be time for a new one, if it is shaft make sure it is on correctly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Either it will be shaft driven or belt, If it is belp it may be time for a new one, if it is shaft make sure it is on correctly.
It is belt driven. Last time I had it apart, a few weeks ago, the belt was fine. Funny thing though, when I got it back from having basic service done, the drive belt was not properly placed on the blade shaft:

I fixed that. Anyway, tomorrow I hope to start taking it all apart again. Perhaps I'll post some more picts.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
The cable that controles the drive may have come off. The gears in the wheels may be stripped (PM me if you need them I have some that may fit)

·
Lawn Mower Fan
681 Posts
I would bet on a mis-adjusted drive cable. There should typically be 0.5-1" of "play" in the drive bail before it begins to engage. On your Honda, does the drive cable pull on a movable tensioner pulley, and that tensions the belt to drive the mower?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would bet on a mis-adjusted drive cable. There should typically be 0.5-1" of "play" in the drive bail before it begins to engage. On your Honda, does the drive cable pull on a movable tensioner pulley, and that tensions the belt to drive the mower?
There is no tensioner pully, but a tensioner arm that moves something around the transmission area and lets me get the drive belt out. I'm going to try to get it apart today. I'll post pictures.

You are right that the cable does require some free play. It feels right to me though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I took the mower apart, and did not see anything that looked wrong. I took the transmission out and took it apart and it looks beautiful inside. (Not that I've looked at any transmission innards before.) So, I'm stumped for now. I'll look at again tomorrow. Below are some pics. Oh, and whoever invented circlips can go straight to ****(!)

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
What's your shop manual say? Unfortunately, many of Honda's transmissions cannot be repaired as they do not sell the individual parts, only the whole transmission.

·
Resident Man Of Many Hats
2,641 Posts
Adjust the traction cable where it clamps on the handle to have a bit less slack. Loosen bolt and slide cable down a bit so as to add more tension when you pull the handle. Maybe give it 1/2" - 3/4" adjustment down from where it currently sits. The cables stretch over time and this usually solves the problem.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I agree, adjust the drive cable. When you squeeze the drive handle, it pulls a cable. The other end pulls an arm on the transmission, tipping it back and tightening the belt. Your belt looks fine so you should get plenty of pull.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ended up buying a new one! Old one is in the shed. Works fine as long as you don't mind pushing it yourself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you mean a new mower? What did you buy?
Yes. Sorry I was not clear. I bought a brand new Honda Harmony. This one has the HYDROSTATIC drive. So, I still have the old one sitting in my shed, for parts or something... It was kind of a big waste of my time trying to fix the old one, since I never figured out what was wrong.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Actually, the Hydrostatic model is the HRX217. I have one, it's a nice mower. Can't beat the thing for mulching!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts