My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last autumn when I bought this tractor its original front 2-ply tires were completely dry rotted. Bought two new 4-ply tires (MaxAuto, 15x6.00-6 4PR, SKU: 205862. CN made) and installed them onto original disks.

When a few days ago I went into the shed to fire up the tractor for the first time this year I discovered that only one tire had kept the pressure during the winter; the other one was completely flat. Removed the wheel, inflated the tire and dipped it into the utility sink in the basement. Lo and behold a barely visible stream of tiny bubbles less that 1mm in diameter had come out from where the bead meets the disk.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Alloy wheel

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tableware Alloy wheel

I should've taken the time to sandblast and repaint the disks when I had the old tires removed. Oh well. Had to pull the tire off the disk one more time, wire brush the mating surface and reassemble the wheel.

Back in September I did not bother to take pictures cuz I felt that dismantling a tire was rather trivial. This time around I decided to snap a few just in case.

Removing the tire and remounting it again on the disk with just a pair of tire irons is easy if one knows what he is doing. Most of us who've been around cars since the days preceding the advent of tubeless tires, when a puncture would automatically entail removing the inner tube, patching it up (vulcanising with raw rubber) and reassembling the wheel afterwards can probably do this in their sleep.

Having said all that, taking this particular wheel apart and reassembling back has proven rather difficult due the stiff 4-ply tire bead that just refused to stretch far enough to go onto such a small diameter disk. The wheel just kept on spinning on me no matter how hard I would be pressing it down to the floor with my knee. After about half an hour of struggle I decided to spend the time and build a contraption that would allow me to secure this pesky wheel in my 6" bench vise.

I've built this fixture out of what I had laying around in my home shop; three pieces of plywood (one of which I have cut to precisely sit inside the disk with its corners up against the ridge), a 3/4" OD x 12" long threaded rod, a few thick 3/4" washers and 3/4" nuts. The idea was to clamp the disk down and then mount the fixture in the vise.
Wood Gas Machine Hardwood Scientific instrument

Wood Gas Cylinder Machine Composite material

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Tread

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Locking hubs

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread

After the wheel is secured in the above manner, the valve stem core needs to be removed so that the tire would deflate. I use this awesome tool from Autozone:

Then the bead needs to be broken off the disk. For that I used a long box end wrench, a small piece of scrap 2x3 and a washer and a nut.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Once the bead is broken off the rim, the tire can be removed by using two tire irons (two Craftsman pry bars in my case since that's what I had on hand). Just for giggles on another tire I used the box end wrench and one pry bar in a circular motion similar to the way professional tire machines operate. This method has also worked rather well. I wish I had an assistant nearby to capture this in a short clip but alas, I was alone at home when I did this.

Don't forget to liberally spray both the bead and the disk with soapy water prior to reassembling the wheel, folks. The tire bead is rather easy to damage by stretching or pinching with a tire iron.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Finally mounted the assembled tire back onto the axle and torqued it to the required 60Nm.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
1 - 1 of 1 Posts