My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finally installed the 690 on the 20G, but am having electrical problems, as in I can't get the engine to start. Solenoid and starter are energized and turn the engine over, there appears to be fuel delivered, but I'm not getting a spark. Followed the hookup schematic in the Honda manual but no pop. There are 4 wires coming out the engine: two gray ones coming from charging coil which I have routed to the rectifier, a black wire which serves the coils which I have connected to the I terminal on a 5 terminal key switch (which is grounded to the frame) and lastly a black wire with a yellow stripe from fuel cut solenoid that is spliced into black/yellow wire from the rectifier and plugged into the R terminal on the key switch. Could anyone please help me out with this pickle? Thank you! Bill

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
Having never even seen a Honda engine up close, I'm at a bit of a disadvantage. Do you have a link where I can see the Honda schematic?

Right away from you description I have questions? The Rectifier/regulator is not mounted on the engine?

What year/model is your 20G? What engine was on it originally? This makes a big difference.

Is the Honda a magneto ignition? Was your old engine a Kohler Magnum? If so, the black wire wire from the coils most likely is the "kill" ground and should not be connected to the ignition switch at all. It should likely be connected to the engine relay.

But if your original engine was not a Kohler Magnum.....well I need to know.......

The regulator output can be connected to R or I on the ignition switch.

And the fuel solenoid wire should be connected to R on the ignition switch.

Again just guessing how the Honda is set up. Nothing against Honda, they are great company with great products, but I only had one Honda small engine experience and it was not good.

For what it is worth, I just replaced my Kohler Magnum with a Kohler Command Pro CH730, wiring needed some mods but started right up.

Sheldon

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
OK, found a Honda diagram, not sure if it is the right one. Looks like the black wire to the coil needs 12 volts in run and and start. That would be terminal R if your tractor was Kohler Magnum powered.

Sheldon

1 - 3 of 3 Posts