My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our mower, tiller,and log splitter all have Honda GX engines of various size, We are considering a new Honda snowblower with a GC 160 engine. Can someone in the know tell me the significant differences between a GX and GC engine.
Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
No comparison, the GX is a commercial grade engine, Over Head Valve, great rebuild-able carburetor, superior quality internals, etc... The GC is a home owner grade unit, built out of inferior grade materials, a junky non rebuild-able carburetor, Over Head Camshaft with a rubber band excuse for a timing belt. They are notorious for jumping time and having a valve meet the piston. Personally, I would not give one away. I bought a Western Auto Wizard rear tine tiller from a friend of mine, he put a new GC Honda on it because the Briggs was long gone. He never could get it to run right and after I bought it and fought with it for several months I finally ripped that P.O.S. off and threw it in the bushes. We had an old pressure washer laying around at work in the junk pile with a GX on it. After cleaning the carb and putting a little gas in the tank it started on the second pull! Now I have one sweet tiller.

Just my $0.02 worth,
Joe

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Like Onan18 said, the GX series is considered commercial grade. Primarily, they have cast iron cylinder liners, overhead valves and ball bearing supported crankshafts. The GC is considered a residential use grade engine. I believe it has an aluminum cylinder, and the overhead cam layout Onan18 mentioned. I have both engines on mowers I have, and I've had nothing but good luck with them both, though I've read where a lot of folks have complained about the GC engine.
The specs are explained a bit more here.
http://engines.honda.com/models/

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Not Necessarily true, but often. I do believe the GX series has a metal blower shroud, and the GC shroud is plastic.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Our mower, tiller,and log splitter all have Honda GX engines of various size, We are considering a new Honda snowblower with a GC 160 engine. Can someone in the know tell me the significant differences between a GX and GC engine.
Thanks
Tom
Everything that has been said.

I would never buy a non-cast iron lined cylinder engine. Those GC aluminum cylinders wear out QUICK, I mean very quick. Even if the only difference was the bore liner, no way in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Yeah, a new carb for a GC is $20.00 form HONDA! That is a no brainier; you would have to charge at least a half hour labor to re-build the carb, where I work that is $39.00, and it probably will not do any good. Just save your time and money and go for the new carb!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts