My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
the mad scientist
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting smoke (oil) on start up and lasts for about 15 seconds, then pretty much goes away except if I idle down and then rev it back up to full throttle. Engine has tons of power, running the right oil, checked the breather, not overfilled, cant be a head gasket issue as it does not have one, compression is good, runs great. My question is has anyone ever ran into this with these engines? I see there is a valve seal on the intake side only according to the parts diagrams, other than that and/or rings I am at a loss. Oil that was in it was sludgy but not grey. I put 30 weight in it instead of 10w30 to see if it would help at all, still the same. Possible leaky oil ring? I don't know what else would cause it

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Worn valve guides are possible, but unlikely. On the car side, gravity helps the oil seep down past the guides. The horizontal position of a mower engine keeps the oil away from the valve. I would imagine that here is very little oil in the rocker area anyway. I think the belt actually carries whatever oil is up there. It sounds like the rings are your problem.

·
Registered
49 Posts
How is the engine stored? If it is stored with the cylinder pointing down you have oil that seeps past the rings in storage and of course burns off when started. Try storing with the cylinder raised slightly and recheck.

·
Premium Member
4,131 Posts
...just fyi, this is a 4 year old thread, and the o.p. hasn't logged onto the site since around that time. Most likely, they have either figured out a solution or taken their fury out on the mower with a BFH...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts