My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Honda GCV160 engine that I bought new and placed on a Lawn Boy deck. The engine, in my opnion, has always ran on the slow side. How do you increase the speed of a fixed RPM Honda motor to 3,100 rpms or so? (I have a tach.)

I will post photos tomorrow.

Thank you,

Doug

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
5,413 Posts
Bend the lower half of the governor arm be careful though Honda recommends not running their motors over 3000-3100rpm under load if I recall correctly.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the same engine and thought the same thing. I drilled a 1/16in hole a littler further back on govener arm for the lower spring. Could use a shorter spring or loosen pinch bolt like said before but watch I think doing that will move the top spring to cant remember what that is or what it will do.To adjust the carb it looks like you have to cut the back half of the air box off.
They suck to work on.

I just did mine last week it runs faster not sure if it cuts any better or can handle thicker grass(not much to try it on).I also thought about opening up the exhuast alittle to make it run stronger Has any one done this?

This is a weak engine that needs help. Any more ideas ?

·
Registered
972 Posts
I have one of these in a powerwasher. Its rated at 2600 psi 2.5 GPM. Its runs very good and has plenty of power for its rating. Most engines these days are rated at peak power. Which could be well past max operating speed.

·
Premium Member
5,413 Posts
You have to be sure your throttle cable is adjusted right too or it will not hit top rpms. I can explain if you like.

·
Premium Member
5,413 Posts
Haha I just glossed over that part of his post :hide: Just bend the lower half of the governor lever like I said before to put more tension on the spring. Just a little tweak should get you where you want to be.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts