My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stumbled across a new GCV160A NBL1 on Ebay for cheep. It is for a Lawn Boy Insight 10697 with a BBC setup. I was thinking about this being a good and easy replacement for TNT 100 or Suzuki as parts go away.

The crank is very close. The main difference is the size of the nut (14X 1.25) and the keyway notch is bigger.

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The keyway slot in the crank is 3/16. I bought a 3/16 square keyway and modified it with a drummel tool (not easy) and filed it to fit. The slot in the pulley is 1/8 I believe. I would imagine there is one that would fit, and I may research and update later.

The threads are not cut in the engine for the mounting bolts if the engine is new. This particular deck started life as a 20684 that has been been powder coated. The bolt pattern in the '90 and older decks require mounting the engine sideways. In order to clear, a super recyler chute is required because the handle is bent in to clear. In '91 and up decks, they have a dual bolt pattern so the engine can be mounted in the conventional way. It looks like an old school classic mounted sideways :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Looks good podor! :fing32: it might be a little messy when you go to change the oil though lol!

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was not able to use the stock Suzuki "square" flywheel. Once I tightened the flywheel, it rubbed on the in-deck muffler boss. I pulled out a Tecumseh TNT flywheel and it fits fine. It is heavier, but it works perfectly. The new nut is a 14 X 1.5 plastic lock nut. The TNT flywheel has the self propelled pulley welded to it, which solved another possible issue. It seemed like the separate pulley could walk up and down.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The throttle is the toughest part. I drilled a small hole for a stock throttle cable. With the way the engine is, I had to run a longer cable from a Briggs powered recyler 2 and go over the chute. It is also backwards, so choke is off and so on. The throttle is spring loaded on the engine, so I am a little concerned that it will pull the throttle closed with vibration. It seems pretty firm though. I'm not too happy with the set up, but it is functional until I design something else.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was able to move the recoil pull from the back of the engine to the carb side. It has a plastic recoil that has 2 guides for the rope. All I had to do was trim the cover for to allow the rope to pass through and move the steel rope guide. I took the rope guide off a zone start mower to have it up high.

That completes the build for now. I don't have any gas and I'm out of daylight. I will have to fire it up another day. Everything is functional and both the engine and the mower are not significantly modified. The keyway and 14 X 1.5 mm nut were the only parts I had to buy. The flywheel and throttle cable were the only parts swaps needed. A stock TNT conversion would be ideal. Don't throw out those old TNT100 mowers.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I was able to move the recoil pull from the back of the engine to the carb side. It has a plastic recoil that has 2 guides for the rope. All I had to do was trim the cover for to allow the rope to pass through and move the steel rope guide. I took the rope guide off a zone start mower to have it up high.

That completes the build for now. I don't have any gas and I'm out of daylight. I will have to fire it up another day. Everything is functional and both the engine and the mower are not significantly modified. The keyway and 14 X 1.5 mm nut were the only parts I had to buy. The flywheel and throttle cable were the only parts swaps needed. A stock TNT conversion would be ideal. Don't throw out those old TNT100 mowers.

Will the bag still fit on it?

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It came with the engine. I wasn't sure if the green looked all that good, but I kind of like it.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The throttle worked pretty well. The detent between high and choke is right where the perfect low idle is. It's a little hard to find where the choke ends though. RPMs are good and high like the Suzuki so it should cut and bag well. BBC works perfectly. My only problem is the new self propelled belt needs to break in. It continually grabs. I hardly ever use a new belt.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Good deal! Remember to change the oil after it breaks in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts