My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help with this 4 Cycle Honda mower. The governor is not working. It runs wide open. So I need some help with hooking up this governor correctly or getting some new parts. This is how I got it so I have no clue if anything is hooked up right or not. Any diagrams or pictures and explanations would be great. Anyway on to the pictures. Thanks Fella's

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I'm not a Honda expert by any stretch of the imagination, but your linkage configuration looks just like my GCV160. From the picture it appears to be set up right. Have you tried moving the lowest spring (the one under the shutoff valve) to the other hole? My GCV160 has given me fits since day one. It sounds like a governor issue, but found that it needs carb work. I cleaned it and noticed an improvement, but still not right.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I checked mine too, pic below.

P1010890.jpg

I did notice that the governor spring on yours looks different.

Also, how is the shaft from the governor (as it exits the engine block) oriented?
On mine there is a half-notch that is aligned with the governor arm. I'm not sure if that is intentional or not, but I would be curious how yours is timed. Perhaps the arm slipped on the shaft at some point?

GCV gov.jpg

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Looks to me like somebody twisted the governor spring around in the hole on the governor arm, shortening the spring and the governor arm can't move like it should. You could try to straighten it out so that the "hook" (I can see the shadow of it against the engine block in the picture) catches in the governor arm hole, or pick up a new one, they're not very expensive.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fellas. Thanks for the pics. I am thinking my spring isn't the correct one. As it doesn't have any tension on or off. I hope together to this mower soon.

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
I would do a static adjustment. Move the butterfly on the carb. to its wide-open position, and loosen the pinch bolt on the governor arm. Turn the slotted governor shaft all the way clockwise, and tighten the pinch bolt. You should still replace the spring if the original has been compromised.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks fella's. I actually had time to run to the parts place yesterday. Those springs were cheap. Now to find some time to put it on;)

Curtis, I will try that adjustment as well. Thanks for the help. I will let ya'll know what I find. I hope to get to working on these before the weekend.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, Yep it was the wrong spring. New one actually holds some tension. Starts right up and runs at the right speed. Now it time to clean it up and move it on out! Also clean the carb as it surges... A general tune up as well. Nice mower as it has a bag also.

Ill get some pics of it up when I'm done

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
The idle jet on that carburetor is directly under the low idle speed screw, it should have a phillips head. Remove it and clean the orifice in the carburetor with a piece of fine wire, or my preferred method, a root canal file. That should get rid of your surging and shouldn't take but five minutes.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The idle jet on that carburetor is directly under the low idle speed screw, it should have a phillips head. Remove it and clean the orifice in the carburetor with a piece of fine wire, or my preferred method, a root canal file. That should get rid of your surging and shouldn't take but five minutes.
Awesome! Thanks I will try that. I was just going to take it all apart. Thanks for the tip. That may just save me a lot of time:) Now just to find some time to work on these...

I have a good 45 min last night wow it was great!!! I had fun though, my son, 2 yrs old helps me. Its a blast. I spend more time playing with him, but thats a lot more fun anyway;)

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
curtis, thanks, I tried that today and the surge still remains. These carbs are hard to get off! Anyway there must still be something there. I may just take it off and put it in the dip for a few hours.

Its definitely a lean surge, as it runs pretty good with the choke on. So I suppose worse case scenario I can replace the carb as I hear they are cheap.

I will see what my local parts place has and what price. Any links on ebay to the right carb for this honda? That way I can check prices.

In the mean time I will try to give it a clean again. I just did a quick one on it this afternoon, and must have not done a good job as its still surging...

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Here's a trick for taking those GCV160 carbs off and putting them back on. Honda mentions it in the shop manual for them, except they have a specific stud for it.

Get a couple of 6mm threaded studs that are about 4" long. Take one of the bolts that holds the carb and related things in place while holding on to it all, then screw in one of the studs. Take the other bolt out and screw in the other stud.

The studs will hold everything in place and help you line it all back up. When putting it all back on, reverse the process with the studs and bolts.

For the carb, (this is a different one, but the markings will be similar) Look for these two stampings.

Those numbers, and the serial number on the engine will point you in the right direction for getting the right carb.

Check with your dealer, or this place is a good online source for parts.
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H...K2 TDAA LAWN MOWER, USA/CARBURETOR/parts.html

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks bwd. Great info

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Thanks Bwdbrn1. I have to get a new carb for mine. This helps a lot!

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok I am going to head to the parts place when I get off of work this afternoon.

On this carb that I have there is a what looks like an adjustment screw beside that idle jet. It has some sort of cap on it. I tried, not too hard, to pull that cap off. It didn't move so I stopped in fear of damaging it. Is that removable?

Here is an ebay link to the carb. The 'adjustment screw' is right above the N on "click n save" on their picture. Can I remove this?

·
Registered
314 Posts
You referring to the black plastic Phillips screw that kind of blocks the pilot jet from coming out? That's the throttle plate adjustment screw and no, that cap doesn't come off. Just unscrew the screw and take it out then put it back in once the pilot jet is cleaned. I would count the number of turns it takes before it comes out and when you put it back in make sure to thread it in the same number of turns. It adjusts idle speed rpm essentially.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
The link didn't show up on my screen to see what you're talking about.

·
Registered
263 Posts

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Robert, thanks. For 15 bucks its hard to argue with a new carb.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts