My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping to get some feedback from those of you who have rebuilt a front PTO on the H5013. Unfortunately, mine started smoking. So, with shop manual in hand, I set about to rebuild it. I found the radial bearing in the pulley damaged. And, since I was already disassembling the PTO, I felt it was time to replace the friction disk and brake disk along with the radial bearing in the ball plate. I probably didn't need to do that last part, but I found it cheap on eBay and given the pulley one was damaged, I figured I just take care of the inner one also. I have now completely reassembled the PTO.

Following the manual, it now says to check the gap on the friction disk and then the brake disk. It also points to an adjusting screw. Before making any adjustments, I can see that when the PTO clutch lever is on, the brake disk is away from the brake plate, and the friction disk has no gap around it. When the PTO clutch lever is off, I see the brake disk is now pressing against the brake plate. However, there is only a gap on one side of the friction disk (side closer to the engine). From the manual, it seems to indicate there should be a gap on both sides of the friction disk. So, my question is if I start turning the clutch lever adjusting screw will that open the gap I need on the other side of the friction disk (facing the clutch plate in the direction of the pulley)? I am asking this question as I saw a post (Dave4514) about using Locktite Blue on the pulley center bolt. That seems a great tip, and I plan to go back and do that but am wondering if there is something else I need to fix while that bolt is out. In the end, I guess I could just fiddle with the adjusting screw to see what happens but would appreciate if someone has experience with this. Thank you.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts