My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both my 4514 and 4518 steering is a bit loose. I have replaced the steering column bushings with new, and have checked over the rest of the system, but it still feels loose. Either the gear at the bottom of the steering wheel is worn, or the front end is a bit loose. At the front end there is a single bolt that goes though the front suspension. Has any tried to tighten this up in an attempt to get rid of the slop?

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's entirely possible that what you're running into isn't any play in the bushings or front cradle, but play in the drag link or the gears themselves. Without seeing it, it'd be hard to diagnose it. Tell one of the kids, the wife, or the neighbor to sit on the tractor and have them slowly nudge the steering wheel back and forth while you have your eyeballs under the tractor. This might work better if you have the deck removed. This may allow you to better see where your play is.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I had to replace the nylon bushings in the steering "gearbox" because of a lot of slop. It did help some .There is a good amount of play in the gears themselves too. Not much you can do with that though. Check the links to the wheels as well as the link to the steering gearbox as there may be wear there.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seems like a lot of play in the front "axle" cross member. I checked the single bolt and it is very tight. I have the bushings for the steering gear, but there doesn't seem to be much slop there at all. Will look it over some more tomorrow.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is the front cross-member that has the extra play. I compared it to my 4514 which has no play at all. There is one bushing and bold that holds this all together. Maybe the bushing or sleeve is bad. Has anyone ever replaced one of these before?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have replaced the nlon bushings in the steering gear and the steering column. It's better but not as tight as my 4514. I think there is still too much play in the front cross member. It will be replaced/shimmed when I put on new tires.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts