My Tractor Forum banner

Honda 4514 Thermostat

2K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  HizerKite 
Already spent enough on this old tractor i picked up not running with blown head gasket ,headgasket,water pump,timing belt. and $500 later not even sure if it will run.Can i run it with no thermostat?
Not a good idea. An engine that runs too cold is almost as harmful as one running too hot. Also believe it or not it can also cause severe "hot spots" in the cyl head as well due to too much circulation and cavitation.

i found one at Napa for $12 .It's a gates thermostat .Same heat range and diameter.From the 80's lol . I did try it with no thermostat till the thermostat comes in in a couple of days.It ran ok and got the blades turning then shut it down .Still a few bugs to iron out but no leaks anywhere. Does anyone know what blades are used on this?It's a 42 inch deck.Surely they must be available somewhere else than Honda
Be prepared to spend lots of $$$ I had the same deck. Tried to buy blades. I can buy 3 OEM Kubota blades for my 60" Kubota belly mower for the cost of one Honda blade. Best of luck. See of you can find blades from Predator. Outstanding blades and may be cheaper than Honda as well

I'll tell ya the throttle linage and governor setup on that engine is a royal PIA to work with. One thing I did (though for get the actual steps I took). I added a choke linkage and knob to mine. (I have always hated having to start the engine on full throttle). So my mod allowed me to set the throttle to a fast idle position, pull the choke and fire it up. Much easier on the engine IMO. I also reset the governor to top out at 2800 to 3k IIRC and then set it up to go up to 3500 in the former "choke position". I found this much more desirable and IMO easier on the motor. I am not one of those people you hear with the engine winging out at top RPM putzing along. Even now with the Kubota. I only run it out at about 2k. I never take it up to full throttle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.