My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I dismantled my Honda 4514 today to change the water pump and timing belt - a serious amount of work!! ;)

Does an anyone know if there is a way to undo the flywheel nut without having to spend a fortune on yet another tool. I thought of jamming one of the teeth on the wheel but think this could damage the teeth.

tia
Richard

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
9,121 Posts
One cheap way to prevent the crankshaft from rotating is to take out a spark plug, feed in a length of rope into the cylinder (leaving some hanging out so you can remove it later), then you can use a wrench on the bolt to remove it. It will rotate a bit until the piston hits the rope and can't move anymore, then what force you put in goes to unscrewing the nut.

·
makin noise!
403 Posts
Put a box end wrench on the nut, whack the other end of the wrench with a 3-4 pound hammer. It will probably come loose without even holding the flywheel.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I made a flywheel holder out of some angle iron, 3ft of maybe 2", notched it to clear the flywheel nut, drilled holes to bolt to the damper holes and that let me hold the flywheel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts