My Tractor Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys I’m in Australia and looking for a mulching kit for the 4120 or the lx188 John Deere part no. I think I’m looking for is bm19918 any one from AUS know where I can get one. Not ridiculous over priced. Or someone that has one and selling. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
43,282 Posts
Jason, here is the link to the JD parts page for the mowing deck mulch kit on the LX188, hope it helps!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m wanting to do a service on the trans axle. Honda 4120. Can someone help out with details on this before I dive in an stuff something up. What filters can I replace and any things I should know. Or have a link to a vid on the right one. I have know idea what type it is. Even a service manual to do it. Thanks Jason. Love this mower. It old but built tough. Just want to give it some love.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,085 Posts
I’m wanting to do a service on the trans axle. Honda 4120. Can someone help out with details on this before I dive in an stuff something up. What filters can I replace and any things I should know. Or have a link to a vid on the right one. I have know idea what type it is. Even a service manual to do it. Thanks Jason. Love this mower. It old but built tough. Just want to give it some love.

I am in the same position as you. Picked up a 4120 last fall to replace the 3810 and wanted to do routine service on the hydro etc before putting it to work.

The trans is a Tuff Torq K61 which can be drained thru a single plug, holds 3.5 US quarts.

The Honda owners manual says it uses 10w30 oil. Tuff Torq says it uses 5w50 oil. With the current shutdown, there is no way I can buy any specialty oil anyway so it will have to wait for another time.

I will attempt to attach the Tuff Torq and Honda Owners manuals for your reference.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am in the same position as you. Picked up a 4120 last fall to replace the 3810 and wanted to do routine service on the hydro etc before putting it to work.

The trans is a Tuff Torq K61 which can be drained thru a single plug, holds 3.5 US quarts.

The Honda owners manual says it uses 10w30 oil. Tuff Torq says it uses 5w50 oil. With the current shutdown, there is no way I can buy any specialty oil anyway so it will have to wait for another time.

I will attempt to attach the Tuff Torq and Honda Owners manuals for your reference.

Larry,

I just picked one up yesterday without a starter or starter solenoid. Any chance you could take few detailed pictures of those 2 items (where do the wires go to)?

Also did you finish the trans maintenance and if so which oil did you use?
I also ordered a service manual from e bay.

Thank you in advance - Stan

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,085 Posts
Larry,

I just picked one up yesterday without a starter or starter solenoid. Any chance you could take few detailed pictures of those 2 items (where do the wires go to)?

Also did you finish the trans maintenance and if so which oil did you use?
I also ordered a service manual from e bay.

Thank you in advance - Stan
Hi Stan.....unfortunately life got in the way so the transmission never got serviced.

It is currently buried under a shelf and third in line behind the snow blower tractor and the loader tractor. But I will get pics as soon as I can get access. I may even have some from when it was up on the bench last fall.

If this is your first experience with a 4120, I can tell you that after some much needed repairs to the seat and hood, I am very pleased with the machine.

The seat pan was simply too thin, stress cracked and needed an add on plate to reinforce it. Not a big deal.

The hood had broken off at the hinges so I used some fiberglass filler then reattached with carriage head bolts right thru from the outside of the hood. A little more time consuming but also a relatively easy fix.

Two things I found were the parking brake release is too low for a person of average height to reach down and comfortably pull, and the foot pedals could have been located a little wider out and angled more like a human foot...but it's liveable.

Baring those two features it is a great machine to drive and mow with. The paint has stood up excellently, considering the problems Deere was having with the powder coated green.

Mine came with a power bagger and like any application where a belt is forced to make 90 degree bends, it is hard on belts. Lucky to get a full season of bagging.

The power bagger had sagged over the years and the bottom had worn thru from the previous owner crossing over his paved driveway. A soldering iron and some melted black plastic ties fixed that and a bungee cord up to the seat slide opening alleviated the sag and drag. I bought new bearings for it at a local bearing supplier.

The one disappointment is the California Carb which is way too lean and I'm frequently adding choke. I tried to buy a carb or carb kit for it, and for a 620 GXV they are next to impossible to find or buy reasonably priced, while carbs for the 620 GX horizontal shaft are a dime a dozen.

I'm sure you will find yours to be a great machine once you get it going and I will have a look for previous pics.......Larry.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,085 Posts
Had a look and appears the only 4120 pics were of the carb area....sorry Stan.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,085 Posts
Just got the Honda HT4120 out of the shed today and it fired right up.......well, right after I turned on the gas petcock..... :cool:

There's the part number if you need to order one.

It would appear the system copied them all twice......hope they help
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Fixture Gas Auto part Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Plant Bicycle part Rim Automotive wheel system
Electrical wiring Gas Cable Electrical supply Wire
Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Gas
Automotive tire Electrical wiring Motor vehicle Cable Gas
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Fender Electrical wiring
Automotive tire Fixture Gas Auto part Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Plant Bicycle part Rim Automotive wheel system
Electrical wiring Gas Cable Electrical supply Wire
Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Gas
Automotive tire Electrical wiring Motor vehicle Cable Gas
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Fender Electrical wiring

·
AGRARIAN
11 Posts
While we are on the Honda 4120 subject and it's similarity to the JD 48" decks....what JD blades are a suitable substitute for the Honda blades?

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,085 Posts
While we are on the Honda 4120 subject and it's similarity to the JD 48" decks....what JD blades are a suitable substitute for the Honda blades?
Although I have yet to buy new blades for my HT4120, I have had to buy belts and bushings for the John Deere deck.

The best I have been able to determine, going by parts diagrams etc., the deck is the same as on a late 80's to 90's GT235 and is a 48C deck.

Just 2 days ago, I sharpened, painted and reinstalled the blades. I think I took a couple pics with the part number, but having purchased the machine used, there is no guarantee these numbers will be correct.

Mine are fairly high lift blades as I also use a JD Power Bagger. Although bagging results in a nice clean finish, it is tedious and the bags are heavy for this old man, when the grass moisture content is high.

Were I to buy new blades, I would personally look into a double blade mulching system and hopefully leave the cuttings on the lawn. The regular blades (without the bagger) just leave the lawn looking like a freshly cut hay field

Just my k'nickles worth, and I will check later for blade pics still in the camera

·
AGRARIAN
11 Posts
Although I have yet to buy new blades for my HT4120, I have had to buy belts and bushings for the John Deere deck.

The best I have been able to determine, going by parts diagrams etc., the deck is the same as on a late 80's to 90's GT235 and is a 48C deck.

Just 2 days ago, I sharpened, painted and reinstalled the blades. I think I took a couple pics with the part number, but having purchased the machine used, there is no guarantee these numbers will be correct.

Mine are fairly high lift blades as I also use a JD Power Bagger. Although bagging results in a nice clean finish, it is tedious and the bags are heavy for this old man, when the grass moisture content is high.

Were I to buy new blades, I would personally look into a double blade mulching system and hopefully leave the cuttings on the lawn. The regular blades (without the bagger) just leave the lawn looking like a freshly cut hay field

Just my k'nickles worth, and I will check later for blade pics still in the camera
OK. thanks. The 72531-V09-D01 Honda blades are $67.00 a piece (3 required) currently. A bit rich for this old man. Seems like there should be decent substitutes or compatibles available...but I am struggling to find a cross reference.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,085 Posts
OK. thanks. The 72531-V09-D01 Honda blades are $67.00 a piece (3 required) currently. A bit rich for this old man. Seems like there should be decent substitutes or compatibles available...but I am struggling to find a cross reference.
Here's the blades that came on my HT4120 48" deck when I bought it used.
Maybe the part number will cross to something aftermarket. This will be my third summer using them after touching up the edge and the second time I have painted the deck underside with Tremclad / Rustoleum.

First cutting was, in places nearly a foot deep. I did it without the power bagger, left the cuttings for a day to dry in the sun then bagged them with the deck set a half inch lower.

The rear of the deck is levelled to be a 1/4" higher then the front but with this old boy in the driver's seat, who's to say if it was still higher or not.......

Automotive tire Plant Grass Fender Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Rim
Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Office ruler Bumper
Water Hood Tire Automotive tire Road surface

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
9,121 Posts
...note, that's not how you should measure the blade. You should measure diagonally, from one corner of the cutting edge to the opposite corner.

·
Registered
129 Posts
...note, that's not how you should measure the blade. You should measure diagonally, from one corner of the cutting edge to the opposite corner.
Good point, but by the time you need new blades, those tips are long gone and well rounded off. But you could extrapolate. If trying to adapt a cheaper or more easily available blade, the size and shape of the hole(s) and width at the mounting is also important.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,085 Posts

·
AGRARIAN
11 Posts
Here's the blades that came on my HT4120 48" deck when I bought it used.
Maybe the part number will cross to something aftermarket. This will be my third summer using them after touching up the edge and the second time I have painted the deck underside with Tremclad / Rustoleum.

First cutting was, in places nearly a foot deep. I did it without the power bagger, left the cuttings for a day to dry in the sun then bagged them with the deck set a half inch lower.

The rear of the deck is levelled to be a 1/4" higher then the front but with this old boy in the driver's seat, who's to say if it was still higher or not.......

View attachment 2550814 View attachment 2550815 View attachment 2550816 View attachment 2550817
Thanks so much...I can work from this info!

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,085 Posts
It appears I have to eat my words on the "California Certified Carb" being too lean and having to use some choke at times to richen the mixture.

Before putting the tractor back in service earlier this spring, I pulled the carb off and apart, taking a chance without even having new gaskets / O rings.

Turns out the brass tube up the center was largely blocked by some kind of curly fuzzy fibers. No idea where they came from. Maybe the previous owner had some kind of fuel filter in place that contained this stuff and it disintegrated. Anyway picked it out with tweezers, cleaned the rest of the passages and put it all back together with the used O rings and gaskets.

All kinds of power now. Even the foot long grass over the septic bed didn't slow the engine down......but it continually plugged up the power bagger.:(

In the end, I mowed with the bagger off, side discharging, then collected the dried cuttings a day or two later. Still a great mower all the same ! :)

Reactions: dave_r
41 - 60 of 60 Posts