My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We don't see or discuss these models much in this forum. I read that these were made by John Deere for Honda. They look almost identical to some of the early Sabre brand models - also made by John Deere.

Sure wish I could look at one here in the midwest. It would be interesting to see if the quality is still there like it is on the 3000/4000/5000 series Honda's manufactured prior to this model.

I recently missed one in Tulsa, because I forgot to include this model in my daily Craigslist search :banghead3

I like the Twin V 18. I hear the twins really sound nice/ or legacy (kool,sweet) :trink40:

Some John Deere decks, snow blowers and blades bolt right up to these models - so no need to look for scarce Honda units.

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/grd/3026194785.html

·
Registered
41 Posts
How about that. I just listed mine on craigslist tonite. I live in oklahoma on grandlake. halfway between tulsa and joplin. It is like new with the 48inch deck.

Attachments

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sure ill get some for you tomorrow. its in excellent condition.
Yes - as Larry said. Please post some under the hood shots.

I also I read somewhere that this mower has an electric PTO.

I wonder if it has a TuffTorq hydro too - but the model number is important. The K66 is weak and prone to failure compared to the K65 and K71. If it is a TuffTorq they use regular motor oil in the hydro.

https://www.tufftorqservices.com/EnvEEdefault/FlatHTML/TransaxleIdentification/lawn_and_garden.htm

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Lawn Tractor/0/HA4120 H48A LAWN TRACTOR, USA/TRANSMISSION/parts.html

Larry - the deck is identical to the John Deere deck for the 318 and 420/425 series and some LX series.

Note the wheels on the deck and the handle. You turn the shafts when you want to remove the deck. The shaft that hold the wheels are round. Then with the handle that is attached to the deck you pull the deck from underneath the tractor.

It mounts and unmounts a little bit easier than the 4514/4518 which attaches and unattaches with four pins.

Tucks - are you the original owner? If so do you have any idea the number of hours? I am interested if the tractor is as well maintained as what you say it is.

How about the deck? I haven't seen John Deere decks that are rusted through like those on the Honda.

Note: a complete set of bearings for all spindles on this deck is only $60 John Deere dollars.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes it has the electric pto. and yes it has the tufftorq hydro. its the k61. I am not the original owner. It was owned by an older man over in Missouri. but judging by the condition of every part of this thing there is no way it was mistreated at all. The motor still looks and runs like brand new. I dont know how many hours it has since it dont have hour meter and the po never mentioned any amount. The deck is as solid as the day it was made. there is a scratch on the paint on the outside of the deck on the left side but its in the paint only. I have mowed my house with this thing and it mows just like new. Ill get lots of pictures tomorrow and post them. here is one of the transmission label for now, and the other side. note how clean even the transmission is.

Attachments

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
41 Posts
I dont know about the snowblower. ive never used one, or seen one in person as far as that goes. It seems that lx188 only has the 17hp engine where my honda has the 20hp. if that makes much of a difference.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
somewhere on the engine block will be a flat square spot with the engine's series or model number with the serial number under it - would love to know what it is.

I've got a 20hp gen with a honda GX620 (similiar V twin, and before buying it found some svc info online from honda - surprisingly, honda rated the engine at 2500 svc life between major servicing

I'd be curious to research that engine

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Nice pictures - frame and plating on the nuts and bolts appear to be Honda quality - but this mower is not 20 years old yet.

Pic below is JD LX188 - water cooled

http://columbia.craigslist.org/grd/3028506947.html

Tucks - did you detail this mower - or was it essentially in this condition when you purchased it?

Another difference between some of the John Deere series during that era were the kingpins and axle bearings. On the light duty series (L) they used bushings compared to bearings on the 318/400/425. The G series were very high quality mowers and durable (GT345).

Tucks - sorry for all of the questions - but your answers adds to our knowledgebase for this model.

As for the snowblower - just speculating - but looks as if Honda continued to sub out the snowblower to the same manufacturer as the grey blower you see on some 5518's. The blower on the 4120 below is a Honda blower and a two stage. But one could also find and attach a John Deere snowblower for the LX178/188 series which seem to be just single stage.

I was told the grey/black Honda snowblowers have a removeable scraping blade whereas the red models do not ???????

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/7393833972/in/set-72157626516992426

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is the condition I got it in. I have mowed my yard and then sprayed it off with a garden hose after it cooled down. But that's it. I didn't detail it.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
The John deere snowblower for the LX1xx series is only a single stage. The + to that is it is still available new and fairly easy to find. 42" is 3252M, 38" original version is NLA I think..

The Honda 2 stage is going to be significantly harder to find

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
thanks for the shots - that's basically the same engine as i have with the one difference being the vertical vs horizontal orientation of mine

mine's a GX620 and there was a big lawsuit over the fact honda overated the V-twin engines - mine was listed as a 20HP and is really an 18 - after the lawsuit, honda removed any hp ratings from their website, then changed model numbers so they could list accurate hp ratings

but it's still a solid engine

·
Registered
263 Posts
Here's a little bit of the backstory on the H4118/4120:

In 1992, I was hired by Honda to be the tech writer for all riding equipment. In the late 90s, Honda introduced their large 18 and 20 hp V-twin engines. Being an engine company first, Honda wanted to showcase these new motors, and a lawn tractor would give them large numbers to do that. But, the US factory in North Carolina was busy knocking out walk-behind lawn mowers, rear-engine riders (H1011), and smaller 13hp tractors (H2013/H2113). After some discussions, a deal was made with John Deere to produce a "Hondeere" tractor that would be based on a Deere chassis / deck, built to Honda R&D specs with the new Honda V-twin engines.

I was part of the team that traveled to the Deere plant in Horicon, WI to see how we'd get this done. Their operation was impressive. The stamping plant was knocking out fenders and hoods at a blistering pace, and the robotic carts were moving frames through the workstations right on schedule. We watched the Deere tractors get built with passion and care. I was impressed with their use of reusable shipping crates, and how they would pull every third tractor or so for a round of tests. After meeting with their teams, I walked away with one key thing; everyone at Deere, from the VP to the receptionist to the guy who put the stickers on the carton, was focused on one thing; making the best **** tractor they could make.

We were thrilled when we go the first sample units back at our office. Working on the shop manual, it took some time to figure out how the Deere guys engineered everything, but it was logical and clearly showed plenty of experience, especially with regards to service. The deck, for example, was really simple to remove, compared to others I'd worked on before.

In the end, the market wasn't quite as excited; sales were not so good, and the H4118/20 would be the last riding equipment product American Honda would sell in the USA; they would exit that market for good in 2001. Out of sheer pride, I owned one for a while, even though I only had a 1/3 of an acre of grass. Used to tow the kids around the neighborhood in a wagon with it, without helmets. :eek:mg:

Here's some old line art I still had in the archives:

[email protected]

Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding was my opinion alone.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 44 Posts