My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, been a while since I've posted on here. But I've had some free time outside of school and was able to work on ol' reliable again, my honda 4013. And after putting the PTO mechanism back together under the tractor I noticed something interesting. I rebuilt the mechanism over the summer with new bearings and a new retainer ball plate and everything worked perfectly. However, I recently noticed the smell of burning clutch while cutting and I shut the mower down and investigated. Upon further inspection, I found that the brake plate was not moving away far enough from the upper lip of the PTO Clutch cone and it was rubbing against the friction material for stopping the clutch. And the braking surface on the upper lip of the clutch cone was worn down substantially. So I tried adjusting the clutch per the specifications of the book and no matter how I adjusted the throw of the PTO Cable or the adjuster bolt on the base plate itself, I couldn't get the brake plate to come away from the clutch cone. But here's what confuses me. The brake plate moves away from the clutch cone on the left side of the circular plate and has an air gap. That's towards the left side of the tractor. However on the right side of the circular plate where the PTO cable hooks up, it just barely moves and I could stick a 4 thousandths inch feeler gauge in there to check the minimum clearance per the book specs. What I'm wondering is, if the adjustment for the PTO is out of whack or if the brake plate itself is bad, because it has those spring tabs inside where it bolts the base plate. Any help would be appreciated!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts