My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a few pics of a weightbox I made years ago for my Case. I have lead weights I use and stack them up. THey get secured with a chain and I am still able to hook my trailer up. I like it and I dont. I may fab up some wheel weights but I have to find material first to do it. I will most likely remove this when the tracotr goes in to get paint. Anyway, I figured I post a few pics in case someone here wants some ideas on different homemade weight boxes

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
Nice, I have decided to do something like this for my Massey. I have not decided if I want to melt lead and fill some 2x4 thin wall box tubing and stack them, or just melt them into the weight box itself. What does your lead weights look like?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The lead I was using was just square scrap pieces I found out in a bone yard. I also have these really heavy steel cylinder that I will try this winter if I dont get around to making my wheel weights.

I highly suggest you NOT melting lead down into forms unless you have the proper respirator on. That **** is nasty for the lungs

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
I do, and if done outdoors, it's not that bad really. I also do not plan to be standing over it while it melts.

The main concern with lead is really ingestion, not fumes... When melting lead, you have a lot of dry powdery lead oxides and "crud" that can get all over you, and your body. If you eat or not shower, this dust can be ingested. You need to watch the dust more than breathing fumes. (still, steer clear of the fumes too!)

However on that point, even though everybody warns like the second coming, at normal melting temps lead gives off very little fumes. It melts around 600 degrees, but does not really fume until it hits 1100 degrees where it will give off poisonous vapors. The most dangerous part when working with lead is all that dusty garbage on the lead weights.... Now, I am not saying that you can just breath it all in, no that is just stupid... But pouring outside with a mask on, and a fan is rather safe in all. Just shower when you are done, wash the clothes too, and do not eat, smoke, or drink while working with lead. And most of all, wear the mask when working with UN-MELTED lead!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts