My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently was tasked with needing to move my boat with my lawn tractor and after thinking for a while this is what i came up with. i would like to get some opinions on my work. I'm just learning to weld with a small arc welder so the welds are not pretty but they work.:thanku:
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh115/bran95/Photo049.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh115/bran95/Photo048.jpg

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,704 Posts
The construction of the dolly looks good but I don't understand why you would need one ?
Wouldn't it be easier to just mount a hitch ball on the tractor and hook the boat trailer directly to the back of the GT ?
I know it would sure make it easier to back the trailer up with it hooked right on the tractor.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
The construction of the dolly looks good but I don't understand why you would need one ?
Wouldn't it be easier just mount a hitch ball on the tractor and hook the boat trailer to the back of the GT ?
I know it would sure make it easier to back the trailer up with it hooked right on the tractor.
if the boat is real heavy it will pick up the front and of a light mower in a second, mine did it to my murry all the time, never to the snapper

it looks good, lets see it in action ...... it will take a bit to get used to 2 piviots, its not to hard:fing32:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
yes it probably would have but i didn't want to have to weld or mount anything on the back of my mower nor did i want all the weight tongue weight on the back of the mower plus i can leave it hooked to the boat so so when mowing all i have to do is back up drop the pin and go instead of have to jack the boat down on the ball and everything plus that doesn't limit me to moving it with just one mower. and it is awkward to back up at first until u get use to it.

by the way I'm only 14 years old

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
thats how i learned to back a trailer when i was younger than you, you would be susprised how many MEN can not back a trailer to save their lifes, at 15 i was backing up a 36ft motorhome with 22 feet of trailer behind it, with no help and just using mirrors ............. keep up the good work man, you will be susprised the looks you get when you back ur boat down the ramp at the launch with one try and do it perfect at 16 :fing32::fing32::fing32:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i already back the boat in while my dads in it and have been able to back up a trailer well since i was like 10 that the one of the advantages of spending lot of time on your grandparents property with your dad and uncle

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,704 Posts
yes it probably would have but i didn't want to have to weld or mount anything on the back of my mower nor did i want all the weight tongue weight on the back of the mower plus i can leave it hooked to the boat so so when mowing all i have to do is back up drop the pin and go instead of have to jack the boat down on the ball and everything plus that doesn't limit me to moving it with just one mower. and it is awkward to back up at first until u get use to it.

That all makes sense. Thanks for explaining it.
I've never found the need for a trailer dolly so it just seamed like a lot more work to me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes the coupler does pivot good and the tongue is so long for easier back up.

and thanks for the compliment

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'd hitch the dolly up to the front of the tractor to make it easier to back up.
LOL!:biglaugh:

Yep! I would do the same, but then again I do that everyday or so with the aircraft. Makes parking them a dream.

One of the other nice things about using the dolly is the ability to jack the trailer into a tighter parking space.

Nice job on the dolly!:fing32: A very useful bit of kit and the skills learned while building it will last a lifetime! Kind of a rare thing to find a 14 y/o that thinks about this stuff today!

Roger
Old, Tired, and GRUMPY

·
Registered
467 Posts
Looks good. Would take a lot of weight off the rear of the tractor. When I blew the tranny out of my 111, it was because the tractor was popping a wheelie while towing a trailer. Good job.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Old thread I know, but I'd really be interested in something like this to haul my log splitter around. It has a very heavy tongue weight.

·
Registered
441 Posts
If you put a bar that goes up and over the ball like a old style tow truck hook.

you can lift and carry stuff using a chain hoist, rope pulley or boat winch. (see my avatar) This would not interfere with the trailer hook up but give you 2 tools in one. If the trailer is loaded it could be use to lift the trailer on to the ball. I like the long tongue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts