My Tractor Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Sam Mac - could you give some more info on the Honda motor, (model #/HP)? I have to replace the briggs on one of mine. I hate the briggs, would like something better.
Join the club. This is what I bought. I got one of the S&D's

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/product.asp?PN=GXV390DET3&desc=Honda Engine 13hp Vertical 1"x3-5/32" Keyed Shaft, Recoil & Electric Start, Fuel Tank, Muffler, Oil Filter

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/product.asp?PN=GXV390DET3-SD&desc=Honda Engine 13hp Vertical 1"x3-5/32" Keyed Shaft, Recoil & Electric Start, Fuel Tank, Muffler, Oil Filter, S & D

·
Registered
645 Posts
I got the new motor. Not to happy with smallengines. Their Idea of scratch and dent is different then mine. A big part of the plastic shroud is broke off. I'll have to find a new shroud, or build something out of aluminum and duct tape.

Also no manual. Where does the ignition hook up to. I'm guessing there is a spade coming out the bottom of that ballast looking thing that's mounted by the oil filler tube. I'm not sure it's a spade as it had something over it, that I didn't want to force off until I was sure. Also what do they recommend for oil?

·
Registered
490 Posts
old nodaker

You can download the manual from the web site. This is the wiring code per the web site. As far as the damage my engine was perfect. Sorry to hear you were not as lucky. I'd call them and see what they can do for you.

Wiring Code:
B=Black-Magneto Kill
G=Green-Stator to Regulator has two wires
R=Red-Charge wire

The two green wires from the stator and the two green wires from the regulator need to be plugged into each other, it doesn't matter which side goes to which side.
NOTICE: These engines may be Black or Red, no choice of color!

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Trail mowers or brush beaters are built a bit different than a regular mower. They have cutting blades that are hinged on a center plate that is mounted to the spindle. This allows the blade to hit heavy resistance like a chunk of sagebrush and not stall the engine. Once past the obstacle the blade is again pulled out straight by centrifugal force and comes around to whack the brush again. Sometime several hits are required to cut off a sapling or other such heavy mowing.

Very strong spindles, or arbors if you prefer, are required because of this abuse. I have a Swisher Rough Cut that has served us well for several years. Based on what I have seen it hit I would not think a regular mower deck would survive long in this service. Also I would question the width of a large deck like you are contemplating as a single unit. Two decks, as suggested would work much better IMO.

Mike

·
Registered
7,066 Posts
Trail mowers or brush beaters are built a bit different than a regular mower. They have cutting blades that are hinged on a center plate that is mounted to the spindle. This allows the blade to hit heavy resistance like a chunk of sagebrush and not stall the engine. Once past the obstacle the blade is again pulled out straight by centrifugal force and comes around to whack the brush again. Sometime several hits are required to cut off a sapling or other such heavy mowing.

Very strong spindles, or arbors if you prefer, are required because of this abuse. I have a Swisher Rough Cut that has served us well for several years. Based on what I have seen it hit I would not think a regular mower deck would survive long in this service. Also I would question the width of a large deck like you are contemplating as a single unit. Two decks, as suggested would work much better IMO.

Mike
Pull type mowers are made in either rough cut or finish cut.
www.swisherinc.com out of Missouri. Used to make a 40" cut finish type, now enlarged to 44". I had one for about a week in the late 90s and returned it as I was not impressed. They also make a 60" + 66" finish cut and a rough cut that is about 50". 60" model weighs 500 pounds. Another one they make is about 50" 3 blade finish cut made to mount in front of an ATV. Several of their mowers are sold by Polaris and painted grey.
www.kunzeng.com our of Illinois or Indiana has various finish and rough cut mowers. Most will be lighter than the Swisher 60" models.
www.cyclecountry.com out of Iowa has I think a 54" finish cut. Been a while since I've been to their site.
www.bushhog.com has 42" and 48" rough cut mowers. I think they are out east, maybe Ohio.
www.agri-fab.com out of Ohio has a 63" 2 wheel finish cut which is an old Haban design and I think a 44" finish cut. I think they have one rough cut mower.
www.turf-aire.com down around Texas? has finish cut models of 60" and 72" but not a lot of advertising.
DR company now has a rough cut model. Haven't checked their website for a while.
Estate named mowers are made by a company in South Dakota. One 60" rear discharge finish mower and I think one smaller finish cut and one rough cut of about 50".
www.befco.com out east has one model in finish cut. About 60" cut with a 11.5 hp engine (too small). Uses a pivot ball type hitch. You have to wander around their site to find it.
On www.northerntool.com is a really odd Stanley pull type 60" mower with 2 25" fold up wing decks on it. About the strangest pull type mower I have seen but never seen one in person since it came out in the last 8 months.
On youtube I have seen a video of one by Tebben who makes PTO powered pull type mowers. I called them but they are not making self powered pull type mowers at this time.
Dixie Chopper once made one but I have never seen a picture or brochure of one and the factory has no info left on them.
A dealer told me Honda made 3 different sizes of pull type mowers and showed them to their dealers stateside. Dealers said no and I doubt if any of them ever have been sold in the USA.
Case made about 50, 60" pull type mowers in the mid 80s. I have a brochure showing one and would love to have one but don't have the cash. They come up on ebay once in a blue moon.
Gravely made a solid mount 40" commercial wing mower from 81 to 91 and sold for 4000 each. I saw one that St.Marys Hospital in Rochester had back in the 80s. I would really, really, really love to have one of those.
One guy told me IH made one in the 60s. I have not seen or heard anything more than that.
As you all can see I search and collect as much info as I can about pull type and solid mount wing mowers. I even have info on some in Australia from when I was last there in 2002.
I have brochures from another company down around Missouri who made them for about 6 months and didn't even trademark their mowers name. Turns out the name they used was trademarked by someone else in the mower making business and I don't think he has been back to play in this market. Wish I could remember the name. I got the brochure somewhere.

·
546cowboy
193 Posts
I have built two trail mowers. The first was just a frame and a 42" deck off an old Cub Cadet.

This is the second one I built the frame from 2" square tubing, part of a truck cap, a 15 h.p. Briggs off a Craftsman tractor, rear wheels from the same tractor, fronts from TSC. I figure it cost me about $400 to build.

It's a 60" deck and it has worked really great. If I was going to build another one there are several things I would change but this is one tough mower the way it is. Another thing is this doesn't leave a windrow in tall grass.

I have a 44" trail mower I can hook to the back of this one and with my tractor's 48" deck I can mow 12' at a time.

Attachments

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.