My Tractor Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My lawn took a beating last year because it was so dry, so I decided to make a spike aerator specifically for over-seeding.

When I was designing it I decided to make it compatible with my Heavy Hitch and also be a tow behind in case my neighbor wanted to borrow it. I used stainless steel hardware because I wasn’t going to paint those parts and to keep rust at bay.

Materials List

Steel

Type: Hot Rolled Rectangular Tube
Size: 1” x 3” x 0.125”
Length: 56”
Qty: 2
Usage: Front and rear frame rail

Type: Hot Rolled Rectangular Tube
Size: 1” x 1.5” x 0.125”
Length: 20”
Usage: Draw bar cross braces (ends cut at 45 degrees)

Type: Hot Rolled Square Tube
Size: 2” x 2” x 0.25”
Length: 24”
Qty: 1
Usage: Draw bar

Size: 1.5” x 1.5” x 0.100”
Length: 8”
Usage: Tongue

Size: 1.25” x 1.25” x 0.125”
Length: 6”
Usage: Tongue/Clevis

Type: Hot Rolled Flat Bar
Size: 2” x 0.375”
Length: 6”
Usage: Clevis pieces

Type: Cold Rolled Sheet
Size: 9.75” x 18.25” x 0.06” (16 gage)
Qty: 3
Usage: Trays

Type: Cold Rolled Round Bar
Size: 0.625”
Length: 58”
Usage: Axle

Hardware

Type: Bolt - Stainless Steel
Size: 2” x 0.375”
Qty: 8

Type: Lock Nut - Stainless Steel
Size: 0.375”
Qty: 8

Type: Flat Washer - Stainless Steel
Size: 0.375”
Qty: 16

Type: Flat Washer - Stainless Steel
Size: 0.625”
Qty: 10

Type: Cotter Pin
Size: 1.25” x 0.125”

Type: Pin
Size: 5/8”

Purchased Items

Item: End Panel
Part #: B-3593-10
Qty: 4
Source: Brinly Hardy Parts Store

Item: Tine (Spikes)
Part #: B-5423-10
Qty: 15

Item: Spacer/Bearing, Tube (Tine Holders)
Part #: B-5425
Qty: 30

Fabrication

1) Using the Aerator Drill Sheet, mark out, center pull and drill holes to the sizes indicated.

2) Drill a 3/16” hole through approximately 1/4” from one end of the 5/8” axle for cotter pin.

3) Using pictures as a guide, dry assemble the aerator frame rails and end panels and using the 3/8” bolts, washers and lightly tighten lock nuts. (You can use ordinary nuts during dry assemble stage) Ensure that the tabs on the end panels are facing each other. See picture for clarification.

4) Insert cotter pin in axle, then 5/8” washer, then insert axle in first end panel. Use a washer on “each side” of the every end panel.

5) Dry assemble the first series of 5 tines and tine holders then another 5/8” washer. Shove the axle through the second end panel. Repeat this procedure for the new 2 sections. Make sure that you use a 5/8” washer on each side of each panel.

6) Square up and align end panels so that they are all vertical. Tighten the 3/8” nuts enough so that the end panels are held secure to the aerator frame rails.

7) Place washer on the other end other of the axle and mark where to drill the other 3/16” hole for the second cotter pin. Cut off any extra length of axle that you don’t need.

NOTE: The tines must NOT move from side to side inside the opening of end panels. If looseness is observed after drilling second 3/6” hole for cotter pin, use additional 5/8” washer(s) to eliminate any side movement.

8) Place aerator frame on flat surface with tines facing up.

9) Set and center the three 9.75” x 18.25” 16 gage metal sheets in between the end panels and tack weld them to hold them in place.

10) Center and square the 2” x 2” x 24” draw bar on one aerator rail and tack weld in place.

11) Tack weld the draw bar cross supports.

12) Dry assemble quick-attach tongue as per drawings. Insert the 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 8" tube into draw bar and test fit it using 5/8” pin. Remove 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 8" tube from draw bar and insert the 1 1/4" x 1 1/4" x 6" square tube half way (3") into 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" tube. Tack weld together. Re-insert the 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 8" tube into draw bar and install 5/8" pin. Clamp clevis pieces on each side of the remaining 1 1/4" x 1 1/4" square tube. Tack weld clevis pieces. Remove tongue from draw bar.

13) Fully weld aerator frame and quick-attach tongue.

14) Disassemble, paint and re-assemble.

Roger

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.