My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Lawnmower Collector
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need shoes/skidds and since a wielder is on the way i figured id make them.
How and pics pleaseeeeee

·
Professional amateur!
1,003 Posts
the shoes on my JD 42" plow is just a piece of (i think) 1.5"x3/8" flat stock with one end bent into a 'J' shape with holes drilled in the flat area for positioning.

i need to make shoes for a bigger plow i'm building. it'd be nice to build something that is adjustable in less then 3/4" increments. maybe some casters on a thread rod and use nuts to adjust the height?

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,093 Posts
Not sure this will be useful on your tractor, but here is a picture of a pair of them from my JD 54" blade that I ran on both a 445 and x728.

The one on the left has had the wear edge worn almost thru. Because I generally ran through a pair of shoes every year, I was keeping the near worn ones and had a welding friend put a piece of hardened on them so I could continue to use them. The one on the right has been modified with this hardened material.

The Deere dealers around here are pretty proud of their plow shoes, and charge according to that pride.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I used what was left of mine since the side bracket was still there, but the shoes were almost gone. I cut the bad stuff off the bottom, then I welded a small piece of plate to the bottom and angled it up. Took 5 mins each. I guess you can buy them at tractor supplies also.

I never took a picture of the other side. I cut about an inch on each side, then heated and bent the plat up the back side, you can see it behind the slotted bolt holes, very strong this way. If you had to you could notch the holes back out, but my driveway is gravel so I need them set hi. Even if you don't have the side bracket you can make that out of a flat piece of plate and make adjustable holes.

·
Cub Cadet Owner for LIFE
55 Posts
I recently seen a cub cadet qa42 snowthrower with mower deck wheels on it. The guy who owned it said he got it from a guy who had a gravel driveway so it helped with not throwing gravel. I thought it was cool idea.

·
Lawnmower Collector
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
M uncle said the same thing about the wheels but it means that i can turn it sideways :( :thanku:

·
TECH Exchange Contributor!
582 Posts
M uncle said the same thing about the wheels but it means that i can turn it sideways :( :thanku:
I used straight wheels last year on the blower on my Legacy.
It worked good on the gravel driveway, but it is correct that it did not turn very well.

This year I have replaced them with swivel casters instead. Dry run looked good on the gravel - time will tell how they do with real snow.

·
Retired Farmer
106 Posts
You could follow what is done on drag shoes on street sweepers and do carbide runners on the bottom, you'll never wear them out. It's not a cheap option, but carbide shoes will probably outlast your tractor (unless it's green).

Or you could hard surface the shoes with a stick (arc) welder. We hard surface all our blower shoes for running on concrete sidewalks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts