My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK
I finally started on the rear of the tractor, I used an Ariens snowblower that was 24" and am modifying it a little to fit the with of my tractor rear wheels plus one inch.
I will make it work off of my electric P.T.O. somehow using a long belt and 90degrees pulleys, I'm still doodling the mockup on paper.

I have gutted the insides and started cutting the extension pieces and tack welded them on one side to see if they will remain straight. It's a lot of measure twice and four times/cut once...
I Hope to document as i progress...

Cheers
JayVee

Attachments

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Good luck with the project and I'm looking forward to a successful ending with pics. slkpk

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
How about putting it on the front instead? Bending your neck around going backwards gets old pretty fast. Might be easier to hook up too.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Add mirrors to the hood on both sides.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How about putting it on the front instead? Bending your neck around going backwards gets old pretty fast. Might be easier to hook up too.
I already have the front end loader in the front, and besides I will need the extra weight on the rear axles when comes time to move the snowbanks, this does two things for me, allow me to cut snow banks with it and if i get in trouble pushing snow like i did last year, i can turn around and make the snow obstacle go away, I probably won't be using it as a primary tool, but it'll be nice to have it in case i get into trouble with wet snow specially...

Anotherthing I've discovered while plowing snow last winter, is that going forward is comfortable alright, but each and every time I reversed i had to keep a straight line, therefore i was looking backwards and though it was a little uncomfortable, it was still ok...
I don't think it will be too hard to operate from the rear of the tractor...atleast i'm hopping so.

JayVee

·
Registered
164 Posts
I did this with a 140 H3 John Deere and a Simplicity blower a few years ago.
Used the tiller lift bar on the blower and after a lot of messing around trying to get the geometry right to run it off the rear PTO-I mounted a AKN Wisconsin
on it that I got real cheap off an auction. It worked GREAT. You back into the snow, if you lose traction, lift the blower just a bit to shift weight to the drive wheels, and if that doesn't work, lift the blower up and drive away. I may do that again sometime with my 2284 super cub if I find the right pieces again.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,416 Posts
I have an old Craftsman 26" 3 stage snowblower (made by AMF) that I wanted to widen and mount on the rear of my MTD,using a motor on it like it normally would be setup ,only without handles,towed by the tractor instead..
I was just going to cheat and use sheet metal "wings" to widen the span so it would clear an area wider than the wheels on the tractor though..I thought about splicing 2 Airens blowers together,but it seemed like too much hassle,and someone bought them off me for parts anyway..

Now I have 2 Sears Suburbans and recently found a snowblower on CL for free,and one came with a dozer blade,so this "project" probably wont happen..might just toss another engine on that Craftsman snowblower and have it for back up or sell it..its a shame I left it sitting outside 2 years,its
starting to get ugly..

But I think your project is cool,and I look forward to seeing how it works for you once its finished..as for snowblowing "backwards", I find removing snow in either direction a pain in the neck!..you have to look behind you backing up without a blower on your tractor anyway,so I'd say your neck will be sore anyway..

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Where in Ontario are you located??? I junked an old Ariens quite awhile back but I saved the auger, fan and gearbox. The gearbox I need but the fan and auger I don't. Maybe it's the same size as what you've got.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where in Ontario are you located??? I junked an old Ariens quite awhile back but I saved the auger, fan and gearbox. The gearbox I need but the fan and auger I don't. Maybe it's the same size as what you've got.
I'm in the Ottawa Valley, 40 miles west of Ottawa on Highway 17.
I don't need the fan and augers, I have them, they're the heavy duty kind from ariens with the one piece gearbox. not the two aluminum halves. You'll see it in the future pictures i will be taking of this project.

Where abouts are you from Case Guy?, I've been reading a lot of your posts and like them, You sure sound like an active member of this outdoor power world we all share and seem to like so much.

I just came inside from the backyard, little black flies were unbearable, i am not welding so they were all over me.
I need to cut the next extension piece before i can tack weld in place and mock up the attaching 4 arms that will allow the up and down.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
I'm just north of T.O. aka the big smoke. LOL I know you don't need the fan. I just thought that since you were widening the blower, the augers would save you a ton of cutting, fitting and welding.

The gearbox I have is cast iron I believe. I just pulled it out of storage because I finally found a use for it but not the augers or fan.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm just north of T.O. aka the big smoke. LOL I know you don't need the fan. I just thought that since you were widening the blower, the augers would save you a ton of cutting, fitting and welding.

The gearbox I have is cast iron I believe. I just pulled it out of storage because I finally found a use for it but not the augers or fan.
You're absolutelly right, Never thaught about oem augers, i was going to cut a pair of strips using my brother in law's plasma cutter (sweet little machine)
I wonder if yours would fit, I'm not able to make out the model number on the tag located near the chute. I will take some measurements of the auger shafts and outside diameter of the augers and let you know, may be a trip down south in the near future? if it's more economical...

I don't mind fabricating as I go, heck on the loader i just went with gut feeling. and the grader blade before that and the mini-bike before that etc etc etc...:duh:

·
Tractor Buff
66 Posts
Excellent idea there Jayvee43,So far it's looking well done. Although having the blower on the front is nice, but IMHO some forget that they loose certain amount of HP by attaching the blower to the front. Where as the rear mount affords the most usable HP.
Being in the Northwest of the province I know what you have to contend with with when it comes to snow in the valley area. Nice work hope you'll keep the pic's coming .

Brian

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
So far it's looking well done. Although having the blower on the front is nice, but IMHO some forget that they loose certain amount of HP by attaching the blower to the front. Where as the rear mount affords the most usable HP.

Brian
Well Brian, I'm certainly looking forward to a full explanation on that statement. :bananapow

Keep in mind that this is not an AG tractor with a 540 or 1000 rpm PTO shaft sticking out the back. JV will be belt driving the blower just the same as front-mounted blowers get belt driven.

Now..... it's your turn. :bannana:

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
You're absolutelly right, Never thaught about oem augers, i was going to cut a pair of strips using my brother in law's plasma cutter (sweet little machine)
I wonder if yours would fit, I'm not able to make out the model number on the tag located near the chute. I will take some measurements of the auger shafts and outside diameter of the augers and let you know, may be a trip down south in the near future? if it's more economical...
In all honesty, I'd probably end up tossing them in the scrap pile so I don't want anything for them. I just saw your thread and thought that these might save you a ton of aggravation since all you'd have to do is splice in a section.

I will measure the outside diameter of the fan and the augers, just for comparison purposes. This was from a walk-behind Ariens. Maybe you know someone who is coming into the TO area and could hook up with me so I could give them to him/her. They're clean, light and don't take up much room. Gotta be someone heading down this way for a trip.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Shoot...I just cameback from the shop. I stoped welding, it was starting to be too damp and the 1/32 rod was sticking, and if i tryed brigning the heat up a little it would make a hole. not very thick wall on a snow blower.

I'll measure next time CaseGuy

Thanks

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK, Finally went back to the shop to play...(weather here has been terrible to say the least)

I have put a few more things together, like a built in sleeve hitch receiving pocket on both sides of the rear axles and a look at where the extra electric actuator lift will be located.
I've got a MAJOR PROBLEM to solve however. The engine turns counterclockwise at the power take off and the snow blower pulley has to turn clockwise.
see pictures for more details

any ideas fellas?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts